A Conversation for The Wall - a Marathon Runner's Nightmare

The Wall

Post 1

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Good entry!
Just a couple of points.

The 20 mile point agrees closely to the 100 minutes I had read about. (For an elite athlete running under 2:20.)

I don't think a depletion run (to run the carbo hydrate tank dry) in the week before a marathon is included in modern training plans. I followed Benji Durden's plan ten years ago, and he did advocate a longish run, I think about six days before the competition

Awu


The Wall

Post 2

3pickledwalnuts

Hallo Ausnahmesweise! I’ve never heard of the 100 minute Wall-rule-of-thumb; where does it come from?

I know 3-30 runners who have hit ‘The Wall’ at about only 14-15 miles but they would have been at 115-120 mins by then. In their cases, the Wall has been a psychological barrier as much as, if not more than, a physical one, something unfortunately not addressed in this Entry. Runners at that speed who hit the Wall at the 20-mile mark have been underway for about 160 mins.

I agree with the idea of a longish run about 6 days beforehand. My best run was when, contrary to standard advice, I did three (casual) 1-30 training runs the weekend before. My performance after a competitive half-marathon race the weekend before was also good. smiley - run


The Wall

Post 3

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Hi,

I don't remember where I got that 100 minute rule from.
The LSD (long, slow duration) runs are supposed to help your body get past that and run off of fat instead of glycogen. So, I suppose a hobby runner (3hrs or more) could still make the transition from glycogen to fat burning OK and hit another kind of wall later.

I've broken the magic 3 hr just once (2:59 in Munich).

Awu


The Wall

Post 4

Chris Morris

Just an amusing aside here - does anyone remember the national newspaper that reported, seriously, Bernie Ford having run into a wall during the Moscow Olympic marathon? One imagines the scene as Bernie struggles over the finishing line, harrassed by reporters asking what went wrong. "I hit the ******* wall at 18miles" he tells them. Reporters promptly dash off to the 18 mile mark to look for a wall with blood stains.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Wall - a Marathon Runner's Nightmare

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more