A Conversation for Useful Elvish Phrases

Object pronouns in Quenya

Post 1

gareis

The object affixes are entirely (or at least slightly) different than the subject affixes, but they go in the same place. Therefore, it would be 'Mélatye' instead of 'Tye méla'. Also, Quenya, like Finnish, would allow multiple affixes at once, so you could say 'Mélanyatye' for 'I love you' just to be precise.

~Gareis, ultra-slow Dvorak typist.


Object pronouns in Quenya

Post 2

Petkan

Well, that's how I'd write it too if I had not read it somewhere as "Tye-méla". The source was reliable, the author was some guy who had studied Tolkien's languages for quite a long time, so I decided to trust it.

It's amazing how Quenya sounds so much like Finnish, considering that the similarities between the two languages are only grammatical and not lexical. Not that I've studied any Finnish -- but they both sound very similar to me. Same goes for Sindarin and the old Celtic languages.

I'm not really a specialist, but I've done the best I can... there could be some more subtle mistakes, if someone finds any, I'd appreciate it if they'd correct them.


Object pronouns in Quenya

Post 3

cracked

This isn't a quibble, just a piece of information. The reason Quenya sounds remarkably similar to Finnish is, I am led to believe, due to the reason that Tolkien based the Quenyan tounge on Finnish.

Anyway good work etc. on the piece...


Object pronouns in Quenya

Post 4

Nienna

Finnish is the wonderful language that inspired Tolkien, probably the reason why different branches of Elvish sound Germanic. The Welsh language is also similar to Sindarin, apparently because of Tolkien's love towards it.


Object pronouns in Quenya

Post 5

Varindweion

Maybe you can play with the place of subject or object, just to emphasize it.
So Tye-méla could mean more something like: It is YOU I love.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more