Beethoven Returns

1 Conversation

I am an atheist, and therefore I don't believe in anything 'supernatural'. Ghosts, the paranormal, angels, and demons, may exist but they exist in the real world and there are real world explanations for them. Not that I am claiming we have the explanation, but that we will have, one day.

My friends ask, if I have no belief in ghosts why don't I prove it by spending the night in the local graveyard. I respond that I will refuse the challenge, not because the spirits might rise from the graves but because I don't fancy being hassled by drug addicts or the homeless.

But just once I had an experience which genuinely made my flesh creep, my skin go cold, and the hair on my body stand on end. I was in bed, and had been sleeping for some time when I was awoken by a noise. It was not one of those dreams where you wake in the dream but not in reality, which are pretty scary. I was genuinely awake.

And the noise that awoke me was the sound of someone playing the piano in my lounge. It would have been even scarier if I hadn't got a piano in my lounge, but I did, so the terror factor was somewhat reduced. I walked downstairs, the music became louder. I was by now very scared and thus I cannot make a rational judgement as to the technical ability of whatever was playing the instrument.

I knew the house was locked tight, the lounge door was closed, no light showed under the door, and as I silently opened the door every hair on my head was standing up. I leaned in and switched on the light. The music continued, now a rag time rhythm. I entered the room. In a matter of micro seconds I noted that no-one was sitting on the piano stool.

A kitten walking across a piano keyboard.

I looked at the piano. Dancing across the keys, to its obvious enjoyment, was. . ..my damned cat.

PS: Here is the cat in question. The author writes, 'She has gone now and maybe is taking lessons from Ludwig himself.'

A beloved cat.

Create Challenge Archive

pebblederook

17.10.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87879064

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more