Colours of Wildlife: Swainson's Spurfowl

1 Conversation

Swainson's Spurfowl

Willem is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours. . . but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Swainson's Spurfowl by Willem.


What I have for you this time, is Swainson's Spurfowl, Pternistes swainsonii. I don't know who Swainson was, but the 'spurfowl' part should be obvious: the males of this species have sharp spurs on the backs of their legs. Several other related spurfowl species occur in Africa, some with double spurs. This species used to be called Swainson's Francolin here in South Africa, but the name was changed to match with the names used for other related species in Africa, in an effort to standardize the names for the sake of international birdwatchers.

Noisemakers Supreme


This species I know very well! It occurs all around Polokwane, in the game reserve as well as in patches of 'veld' even in the middle of the suburbs, and all around the town too. Its call is a sound very familiar to me, a very harsh, raucous, crowing noise. The male proclaims his territory by calling very loudly from a high perch, such as a fence pole, tree branch or a termite mound. Not only does the noise travel far from there, but he himself is prominently visible, his red bare throat and facial skin being very conspicuous. It is amazing how much noise this bird can make for its size! They call mostly around dawn and at dusk.


Other times, these spurfowl are not quite as noticeable. They like an environment with lots of grass and bushes, and can be well-concealed. When approached by a human or a predator they will first try slinking or running away, but if this doesn't work they will fly off, dropping down into dense cover. But in some places they aren't very afraid of people and can be approached quite closely. They are pretty birds, with their bright red faces and their brown bodies decorated with fine, black streaks. They are somewhat smaller than domestic chickens, reaching 38 cm/15" in overall length. Apart from the males having spurs, they sexes look alike. Baby spurfowl, like many other African partridge-like birds, can already fly even when only half-grown.


These spurfowls count among the bird species that actually benefit from human activity. When westerners entered South Africa, they were confined to the northernmost regions of the country. But as people started farming on a large scale, the spurfowls started moving south. They take advantage of especially maize farms, the large stalks giving them excellent cover. They also make use of the dams and artificial ponds on these farms for drinking water. Unfortunately for the farmers, they do some damage, digging out and eating the maize seeds the farmers plant in the spring! But they don't eat the mature corn off the cob when the plants are tall. These times they actually do good because they eat insects including lots of crop pests.


In the wild, these birds eat a large variety of foods. They peck up grass seeds and other nutritious seeds, pods and fruit fallen from the trees; they will catch and swallow insects like grasshoppers, crickets and others; they also dig in the ground with their powerful feet, excavating for juicy tubers, roots and corms. They typically occur in small groups, mostly related by blood: an adult couple and their offspring, sometimes for several generations. The breeding adults scratch out their nest on the ground, concealing it under a bush or in long grass. They lay four to eight eggs, which hatch in three weeks. The newly hatched chicks are fully feathered and immediately able to follow their parents as they forage.


There is a vast variety of partridge-like birds inhabiting the continent of Africa. They live in habitats ranging from rainforests to dry semi-deserts. Many of them have very restricted ranges. They are mostly very well camouflaged with beautiful streaks, bars, blotches and more their plumage, best appreciated when seen up close. But they won't let an observer get close easily! Swainson's Spurfowl is one of the boldest, both in its brightly coloured face and in its behaviour. It is also one of the more widely distributed species, occurring from central South Africa northwards into Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Angola and Zambia. It is not endangered at present, indeed being one of the most numerous bird species encountered in the southern African bush.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

12.10.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87861063

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more