Epiphany, a Christian Holiday Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Epiphany, a Christian Holiday

0 Conversations

On 6 January each year the Christian Church celebrates Epiphany1. The event is celebrated by both the Western Church and the Orthodox Church. Both agree that it is the symbolic acceptance of Jesus Christ being recognised as the Son of God, but they credit separate events for this manifestation. In the Western tradition this is completed by the arrival of the Magi (The Three Oriental Kings) bringing gifts to the Baby Jesus. In the Orthodox Church it is the celebration of His baptism, when Jesus was an adult.

The 12 Days of Christmas

The time between Christmas on 25 December and evening before Epiphany on 6 January, are the often referred to as the Twelve Days of Christmas. Many traditions require that all the decorations remain in place for this period, and it is not unusual for each night to have its own celebration, and gifts to be exchanged. In both France and Spain (and the places in the New World colonised by them) special 'King Cakes' are prepared to entice the three kings to visit. In some cultures it is the kings who bring the children's gifts, rather than Santa Claus.

The Irish sometime use the name 'Little Christmas' for 6 January. Some think this relates back to the adoption on the new calendar. It is also sometimes called 'Women's Christmas' - in some counties the men take over the household chores for the day.

The Magi

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold there came three wise men from the east to Jerusalem.
– Matthew II - 1 KJV

The Magi were a group of Persian astronomers, or astrologers2, who studied the sky and believed they had seen the unmistakeable signs of the birth of a great king of Israel in the stars. They travelled for over a year before arriving in Jerusalem.

When they arrived they were given an audience with Herod, the recognised King of the Jews. He agreed to allow them to continue their search, as long as they reported their finding to him. After finding the baby and his humble parents, they left their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. They then returned to their homes without reporting back to the King.

Although they are often called the 'Three Kings' we do not know how many were in the party, or their actual titles. It is certain that they were all scholars. The number three comes from the three gifts that are mentioned in the Gospels.

Outraged that he had been deceived, Herod ordered that all male children aged two years or less be killed3. But Jesus and his family had already fled to Egypt.

The Baptism

I indeed baptise you with water unto repentance; but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; He shall baptise you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
– Matthew III - 11 KJV

We cannot begin this section without an introduction to John the Baptist. John was a cousin of Jesus, who was born about six months earlier. He was the unexpected first child of an elderly couple, who most thought were long past any hope of reproduction. He chose his ministry as travelling through the land and immersing his followers in water4, to wash away their sins. John told his followers that he was preparing them for the Messiah who was to come after him, who could baptise them with fire and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus was about 30 years old and almost ready to start His own ministry when He approached John to ask him to oversee5 His own baptism. At first John was taken aback and insisted that Jesus should instead supervise John's own baptism. Jesus assured John that he should be the one to oversee Jesus' own baptism. According to reports, the sky split open, Heaven was revealed when He arose from the water and a white dove landed on His head to show God's pleasure with His son.

Present Day Celebrations

The celebrations continue today:

The ceremony of Baptism is still considered the first step of membership into the Church. In some congregations they offer the rite to their ancestors by Proxy baptisms.

1Although some denominations have moved the actual service to the nearest Sunday for convenience.2They were probably Zoroastrian priests, for those who wish to investigate further.3At least according to St Matthew, as recorded in his Gospel, but there is no historical record of this event.4Ritual immersion in water was a common practice in the Jewish religion. Most temples have a Mikvah or pool of water for ceremonial cleansing.5At the time the officiant did not touch the recipient.6Near Tampa Bay.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A87847744

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more