The Cheese Scone Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Cheese Scone

1 Conversation

Whilst it is easy to buy scones from most bakeries, grocery shops and supermarkets, there is little which can compare to the taste and sense of achievement from making (and eating), home-made scones. And, whilst it is easy to buy 'typical' savoury or sweet scones, this recipe makes a version unlike any commercially-produced scones; so light, so easily quaffed, and so moreishly delicious. Feel free to liberally spread with butter if the desire takes you; your waistline is doomed the moment you make them anyhow, so you may as well go all the way. Based on average calorie contents of ingredients, and on making 12 scones from the following, each scone is approximately 216 calories.

Not just any cheese scone mind, the most lightest, fabulous, tastiest, and dangerous to one's waistline Cheese Scone. So nearly almost impossible not to scoff the lot whilst they're warm. Should make at least 12, depending on size of the 'holes' in your cupcake/muffin tin.

Ingredients

  • 300g self-raising flour
  • ½ tsp mustard powder and ½ tsp paprika
  • 75g butter
  • 185g grated cheddar
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 250ml milk
  • Grated/shavings of Parmesan cheese

This entry on a brief guide to cooks' measurements may be of interest, for those wishing to use measurements other than metric.

Method

  • Sieve flour, mustard powder and paprika into a cold bowl
  • Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, working quickly to achieve this
  • Add grated cheddar and mix
  • Stir in egg and milk, taking care not to over mix
  • Spoon into oiled muffin tray
  • Sprinkle Parmesan on top
  • Bake for 25-30 mins at 190°C

If you have sufficient self-control, the scones can be frozen. Take out to defrost (for about an hour or so, in ambient conditions), and briefly place in the oven for a few minutes, to reheat them when desired.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A87844693

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more