May Create: Plants and Flowers

2 Conversations

The saying goes 'April showers bring May flowers'. In the UK, people go visiting bluebell woods, while cowslips and early purple orchids are also flowering. But in the southern hemisphere, the winter is coming. In South Africa, the veld becomes brown and grey but there are still many species of aloe flowering, providing nectar for birds over the winter.

Of course plants give us so much more than flowers. We eat plants, use them to make medicine and clothes, and build houses and furniture out of them. In fact, because green plants provide oxygen, there wouldn’t be much life on earth without them.

So this month we're celebrating flowers and plants.

  • What do plants and flowers mean to you?
  • Do you have any memorable plant moments?
  • Do you have a green thumb or is it black?
  • Send us your photos and we'll give them pride of place.
  • We'd also love some Guide entries about plants. There are plenty there already, like Coastal Redwoods, Cabbages and Choosing the Right Garden Plants but we're sure you can find a gap.

  • What about the customs around giving flowers?
  • The adventures of an early plant collector?
  • The weirdest plant you can think of?
  • Or, you could write us a description of your garden, a story about man-eating plants, or a poem about a gift of some seeds. There are plenty of opportunities to choose from.

    We plant the seeds, now to watch them grow


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A87828529

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more