What to do with Dates: Make Sticky Toffee Pudding Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

What to do with Dates: Make Sticky Toffee Pudding

1 Conversation

A portion of sticky toffee pudding with custard.

The other day it seemed that everyone had come home smiling from the shops laden with dates. We like dates, but this surely was a surfeit. We got bored with snacking on their beneficent availability; at first they hung around in those weird-shaped boxes, lurked on occasional tables and hid in the fruit bowl. Then they seemed to have migrated to the bread bin, and a few days later on, to the top of the fridge.

Something needed to be done; in fact we needed to make Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Now, you may have eaten this pudding and believed it to be full of toffee, not dates. But it is true, most of the sweetness comes from the dried fruit. It makes it sound a lot less threatening to your health and teeth now, doesn't it? The pudding is still very sweet, but it wouldn't live up to its name by being a healthy option would it?

You may look on the Internet and find countless recipes for this traditional British dessert - all of which are entirely different. Confusing? Yes. This recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding came about by taking all the best bits from the other recipes, along with the easiest methods, while, hopefully, the lowest in added sugar and dairy cream content1. This pudding tastes like a dream and is very sticky.

Ingredients

  • 200g stoned2 dates
  • 1 ordinary teabag
  • Half a teaspoonful bicarbonate of soda
  • 125g Demerara3 sugar4
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 125g self-raising flour5
For the Toffee Sauce
  • 60g granulated (white) sugar
  • 30g unsalted butter
  • 150ml double cream
  • 1 dessertspoonful golden syrup
A pan of toffee sauce being prepared.

Method

What you do:

Grab your dates - 200 grams of them, without stones - and chop them into small pieces. Don't worry about being too precise. You'll find out why later on.

Shove them into a jug, a Pyrex one if you have it, add a teabag (ordinary tea such as Tetley is fine). Pour some boiling water over the dates, just enough to cover them, stir gently, and after about 30 seconds remove the teabag. Now add half a level teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda, and stir again. Put the jug into the microwave oven and heat on high for 30 seconds. Remove and cover. If you don't have a teabag, make about half a pint of black tea, not too strong, and strain it over the dates instead.

Next, make a toffee sauce. Put 60g granulated sugar into a heavy-bottomed saucepan along with 30g unsalted butter.

Heat carefully until the sugar has melted. Stir continually and thoroughly over a medium heat until the sugar begins to turn a golden brown. Keep stirring to amalgamate the butter into the sugar syrup. Be careful not to overheat and burn this mixture. You're aiming for a nice caramel colour rather than treacle toffee. Once the sugar and butter look as if they are turning to caramel, immediately take the pan off the heat and stir in one dessertspoonful of golden syrup. Keep stirring thoroughly. Take great care as the toffee will be extremely hot and it is easy to burn yourself. Also note that the toffee sauce will harden as it cools, so it will be a lot runnier when it is hot. This stage is not recommended for children to help with.

Once this mixture is smooth, stir in approximately 150ml double cream.

Pour the toffee sauce into the base of an 8cm-deep square baking tray 25×25cm. Leave to cool - if you have room in your freezer put it in there. Be careful to let the tray remain level so the sauce settles evenly.

While the toffee sauce is cooling, make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs and add the warm date mixture. You will see why you didn't need to worry much about the dates being chopped evenly - by now they will be one big sticky gloopy mess. Use a spatula to get them all out of your jug.

The batter mix for sticky toffee pudding.

Stir the mixture and fold in the flour. The mixture should be fairly runny.

Remove the tray from the chiller and pour the batter carefully over the top of the sauce.

Put it in the oven for about half an hour.

When it is cooked, let it cool in the tin. Then divide it into nine squares6.

Remove the pudding from the tin and put it into an airtight plastic box. Put the lid on the box firmly. Hide the box from your family7.

The next day the pudding will be ready to eat. The toffee will have softened overnight and the pudding itself will have become moister. You can serve it with ice cream or with custard.

It won't last long, so instructions for storage are unnecessary.

The cooked pudding cooling in the baking tin.
1It still would not qualify as something you should eat as a daily health food though.2No laughing at the back, this is the actual term for pitted dates, ones that have had their stones removed.3Demerara is natural brown sugar.4Any sugar will do, but you will get different results: granulated sugar, the recipe will turn out paler; soft brown sugar, it will turn out darker and be more toffee-flavoured.5Self-rising flour in the US and elsewhere.6If you have a family of four this is two helpings each with three for the cook.7The author makes this claim as being the single most important step in this recipe.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A87799162

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more