Supermarket III

0 Conversations

The Classic Goo monster in an h2g2 T shirtHello, and welcome to the third edition of Super Market, the monthly update of everything exciting taking place in h2g2's own Flea Market.

Interview with a Scavenger

To learn more about the Flea Market, it's a good idea to talk to some of the people who have done it. In this issue we interview Teasswill, who has four Flea Market Rescues to her name:

  1. Art School in the UK (2008)

    Original: Going to Art School by NeonoaBright
  2. Retinopathy of Prematurity (2009)

    Original: Retinopathy of Prematurity by tropicalrop
  3. Disability (2010)

    Original: Disability by GrumpyAlembic
  4. A to Z of Black (2012)

    Original: A - Z of Black - More Than Just a Colour by Emmily

Bluebottle: I'd like to ask you some questions about these, if you don't mind?
Teasswill: Happy to oblige!
Bluebottle: What made you decide to rescue these?
Teasswill: Subjects I felt I had sufficient knowledge to tackle. Easier than thinking up topics for myself!

Bluebottle: Would you only rescue articles about subjects you know well?
Teasswill: Yes, although I might pick up ones that sparked my interest enough to discover more.

Bluebottle: Your last Flea Market Rescue made the front page over a year ago. Is there any reason why you have not rescued an article from the Flea Market recently?
Teasswill: Nothing that took my fancy, also busy with other matters.

Bluebottle: You have 4 accepted Flea Market Rescues – one more rescue and you would qualify for a Scavengers badge! Do you think that being given a badge in recognition for rescuing 5 articles from the Flea Market is encouraging or motivating at all?
Teasswill: Yes, having got within reach of a badge I'm slightly looking out for a suitable fifth entry.

Bluebottle: Did you approach a Flea Market Rescue any differently to how you write an article from scratch? Is it easier or more difficult?
Teasswill: Yes it is different because there is a framework to look at as opposed to having to build one's own. It can be easier if there's a good basis to start from. However the writing style might not match mine and I have found myself doing a near complete re-write.

Bluebottle: I see you have started an article on A to Z of White – has doing Flea Market Rescues inspired you to write your own articles?
Teasswill: I had already written a few of my own but had run out of ideas. The A to Z of White seemed a good companion to A to Z of Black. I Must get it finished off and into Peer Review1!

Bluebottle: When you write a Flea Market rescue, how do you decide what to keep and what to edit, and how much of a right do you feel that you have in making decisions about the article?
Teasswill: Tricky. At first I felt that all I should do is make additions to finish them off, but having gone through Peer Review I realise I am at liberty to do a more radical re-write if that seems necessary. It depends how substantial the entry is already and in what style.

Bluebottle: Would you recommend doing Flea Market rescues to other researchers?
Teasswill: Yes, if you haven't any ideas. But it can be difficult if the writing style doesn't match yours.

Hope that's helpful!

Thank you for your time, Teasswill.

Flea Market Rescues Currently in Peer Review

These are the articles being rescued from the Flea Market that are currently in Peer Review. Why not help by reviewing the new version of the article?
Aricles in Bold are new entries which have been submitted since Issue II of SuperMarket was published.

Article Being RescuedConversationRescuerOriginal

The Development of the English County
Peer ReviewBluebottleEnglish Counties, The Real Counties by Ianorth
STV - the Single Transferable VotePeer ReviewNosebagbadgerSingle Transferable Vote (STV) by Kia Shuma
Atoms and Isotopes: Pre-university LevelPeer Reviewmikeyc0312Atoms and isotopes - A level Standard by nicki
Update Buddy Holly - Singer, Songwriter and EntertainerPeer
Review
Florida Sailor
The Early History and Development of FilmPeer ReviewBluebottleHistory of Film by Oberon 2001
The Sonic the Hedgehog Series and Spin-offs: 2000-2004Peer ReviewBluebottleThe Sonic The hedgehog series,spin offs and secrets by Jenny_Tablina

Everyone who reads through and comments upon these articles helps to make it the best it can be!

Articles about Films

Here is a selection of Articles remaining in the Flea Market and awaiting a rescuer. This month's theme is Films.

Everyone loves watching a good film. If we see a good film we also love to talk about it too. Whether it is discussed by the young in the school playground, by the office worker by the water fountain, over the phone or round the dining room table. The best sort of film is the one we enjoy time and time again and watch at least once a year, and have discussions with our friends about the tiniest details and lines of dialogue. And since King Kong was released on LaserDisc it is even easier to learn about films, as new releases of them on DVD and Blu-Ray usually contain extras, such as Commentaries, Documentaries and Making Ofs.

So if you enjoy films, why not rescue one of these?

EntryFlea Market ConversationAuthor
'Annie Hall' (1977)Flea Market conversationTom
Basil The Great Mouse DetectiveFlea Market conversationMike A
Big Wednesday - The MovieFlea Market conversationEcoTony
The use of perspective and deep focus in Citizen KaneFlea Market
conversation
AijamiOka
The movie Ek AjnabeeFlea Market conversationEchidnaZ
Office Space - The MovieFlea Market conversationRMF Art Vandelay
The Island Of Dr. MoreauFlea Market conversationhatameiwaku
I-Spy Guide To Cliched Film DialogueFlea Market
conversation
Aximili
Jim Henson - Muppeteer, Filmmaker, Television ProducerFlea Market
conversation
Opticalillusion
Satyajit Ray, FilmmakerFlea Market conversationSamarpita
Wartime Animation and the Warner BrosFlea Market
conversation
Lt. Thrace

Previous Post Flea Market Features

Of course, this is far from the first time the Flea Market has been featured in The Post. Why not look to see what happened when Opti Inverviewed Matt?

And Remember...

The Flea Market needs You! Why not see if there are any articles amongst all the Flea Market that catch your eye.

A reader of the h2g2 Post
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

11.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

SuperMarket
1This entry is now in Peer Review - Ed.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87787165

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more