A Conversation for A Visitor's Guide to Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK

Leeds

Post 1

Storm

Nice work.

I used to live near Leeds. Additional information
-Harewood House is a nice place to go for a sedate walk. It's one of the few places in Yorkshire that doesn't require you to go up anything. It's well worth visiting Haworth for a more challenging but waymarked walk.
-Tropical World is a lovely butterfly house, it's great to go with children and photograph butterflys - it's also quite cheap compared to similar attractions.
-It's only 17 mins by train from Saltaire which is quite a nice train journey and has a large (free) David Hockney gallery. The trains are still mainly red although they are subject to a programme of repainting so if you go to Saltaire it still looks very like Hockney's iconic painting with the mill, church, river and trains.

Little Toyko is a great Japenese restaurant- reasonably priced with lots of vegetarian options. The Laines is a lovely independent coffee shop near the station. Fab Cafe has fairly recently opened as a sister to the Manchester branch and is a cool sci-fi themed night club. Good opportunity to dance with a Darlek.


Leeds

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Those places sound really interesting Storm. If you'd care to write them up and have any pictures, smiley - thepost would be interested. DG and I have had great experiences in butterfly houses in museums in the US. DG got some great pictures there as well.

Just a suggestion if you'd like to share with a wider audience and not have to slog though the Peer Review process.


Leeds

Post 3

Bluebottle

I agree with you about Tropical World, we took the kids there over the February half term, although they were redoing the butterfly room at the time. Definitely excellent value for money. (I must admit I've not been to Lotherton Hall, Temple Newsam or Thwaite Mills yet, but probably will next time we're up, possibly in August). I must admit I bought a lot of fudge when I was last at Harewood House, and enjoyed watching the penguins.

Haworth is lovely, although when I last went for the Mince Pie Special train ride, the Bronte Parson was closed. That happens every time I went on the Mince Pie Special, have you heard how the church's roof repair fund is going? Visit Haworth quick before Bronte-land becomes a giant wind turbine!

<BB<


Leeds

Post 4

Storm

I must admit we never actually went to anything at Haworth, we just used to walk along the top to the waterfalls. I always enjoyed the feeling of leaving other tourists behind after a few minutes walk and the beautiful views. Feeling completely in the middle of nowhere then seeing signs in Japanese always made me smile too.


Leeds

Post 5

Bluebottle

Curiously there aren't that many tourists when I've been to Haworth, mind you both times were early January, so possibly not their busiest times. Good time for a trip on the Worth Valley Railway, though.

<BB<


Leeds

Post 6

Bagpuss

"Leeds also does not have a permanent ice rink, but an outdoor facility is traditionally erected after Christmas in Millennium Square."

I find it hard to think of Millennium Square as having traditions, but it's worth noting that the German Market in early December is a fine source of mid-European sausages and deserts.


Leeds

Post 7

Bluebottle

Admittedly it is a rather recent tradition, but that's how things go. smiley - winkeye

I always seem to miss the German Market and go to Leeds the weekend after the market has left.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Visitor's Guide to Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more