A Conversation for Walking Hadrian's Wall

Bookmarking

Post 1

Elentari

Thanks again, Bluebottle. smiley - smiley I'll be sure to let you know how I get on!


Bookmarking

Post 2

ITIWBS

It was something of a surprise to learn that the ditch in front of Hadrians' Wall was located to the south of it, rather than the north, since the ditch is usually on the side attack might be expected from.

This suggests that the purpose of the wall was more to keep people in than to keep them out, the intent more like that of the Berlin Wall than that of the Great Wall of China.

After the initial construction of Hadrians' Wall, a second wall was built about seventy miles to the north of it and subsequently abandoned, perhaps after removing people between the two walls south of Hadrians' Wall.


Bookmarking

Post 3

Elentari

Are you referring to the Antonine Wall? My understanding is that it was constructed when the Romans pushed further into Scotland but that they then had to fall back.


Bookmarking

Post 4

Bluebottle

The Vallum, the wall's ditch, was indeed on the wall's south. It is believed it served mainly to create a 'Roman's only' zone between it and the wall. There were frequent gates along the wall allowing people to travel across, probably on payment of a fee, as the wall divided the territory belonging to the Roman's allies, the Brigantes.
The Antonine Wall was indeed built to Hadrian's Wall's north, but as far as we know, I don't think historians consider that it was ever used as a fence to relocate the population (although that theory is not outside the realm of possibility).

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the article! smiley - smiley

<BB<


Bookmarking

Post 5

ITIWBS

Excellent article!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Walking Hadrian's Wall

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more