A Conversation for The Seven Deadly Sins of Electronic Toy Design

The picture is either wrong or perfect

Post 1

Geggs

I have to mention this because it's driving me made. But I don't have a problem with the Entry itself. It's the picture that's making me mad, but I'm not sure if that's intentional, given the subject of the Entry.

The picture contains the words "Klaatu Baratu Nikto", whereas the actually quote from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' is " Klaatu Barada Nikto". The last two letters of the middle word are different.

I don't know if was accident or design. If accident, I guess the artist would want to know. If design then the artist should be congratulated for sucessfully illustrating the point of the Entry.


Geggs


The picture is either wrong or perfect

Post 2

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I've seen half a dozen variations of this quote in my ever-lengthening lifetime, but never thought to research for a "correct" version. In my defense, I would claim that the toy is cheaply made and you'd be lucky to get the correct sounds out of that awful tinny little speaker.

There must be hundreds of thousands of people like me who saw the movie once as a child and never forgot the quote. So how come the female lead couldn't remember it?


The picture is either wrong or perfect

Post 3

Geggs

Thank you for responding lil. smiley - smiley

>>you'd be lucky to get the correct sounds out of that awful tinny little speaker.

That sort of thing is why I thought the mis-quote might be intentional. That toy, beloved though it might be of children, would be almost strategically designed to annoy parents. It would certainly wind me up in a matter of moments.


Geggs


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more