A Conversation for Science as Religion

Politics and Psychology:

Post 1

ITIWBS

...a great controversy that emerged in the aftermath of the late 19th and early 20th century debates of science and religion. Finding that they could no longer appeal to their religious conceits to the purpose of justifying and forcing social, political and economic conceits on the larger community and world, many seized on the newly emerging sciences of psychology and sociology as alternative vehicles for their missionary zeal. (Some people just can't handle rejection.) Many schools of sociology (not all) were invented precisely to the purpose...

Suggested reading: Karl Menninger, "Science and Psychology", a rather angry rebuttal to the trend, represented in its worst cases by people like Himmler and Lysenko. Thankfully, the Karl Menninger school won the day with respect to the WW II issues.


Key: Complain about this post

Politics and Psychology:

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more