A Conversation for Tips on How to Grow Winter and Spring Vegetables

Garlic

Post 1

Danks

November is a good time to plant garlic, which requires a long growing season. For the last two years I have planted mine in February and it has been ready to harvest in August - i.e. after 6 months in the ground. Plant it now and you can harvest a little earlier.

If the ground is very wet then simply make a ridge, about 8 to 10 cm high and plant into that. Don't use the stuff you buy in the supermarket, use a seed merchant and get a variety suited for this country (I'm talking about the UK). Separate each head into cloves and put them in, point up, about 10 cm apart and 5 cm deep. For every clove you plant you get a head of garlic to harvest. It is ready when the foliage goes yellow and starts to fall over.


Garlic

Post 2

KB

A guy in a gardening magazine I was reading says he's grown lots of garlic over the years both from special bulbs and general supermarket garlic, and hasn't noticed any major difference.

What does make a difference, apparently, is using the biggest and plumpest cloves on the bulbs to grow.

Never tried it myself, but thought I'd mention it.


Garlic

Post 3

texteditor

I bought some garlic from a Thai foodshop because I noticed that it always sprouted,
so I bought some just for growing. To make sure it was going to sprout I chitted the cloves in ice cube trays till there were shoots and roots (46 sprouted out of 48) I then planted them knowing they would grow.
texteditor.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more