The Mental Aspects of Free Throw Shooting Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Mental Aspects of Free Throw Shooting

3 Conversations

There's no time left on the clock, the lane has been cleared, and the referee hands you the ball. Your basketball team is down by a point and you have the chance to win the game... if you sink these two free throws! Do you have what it takes?

How to Shoot Free Throws

There are many different skills involved in free throws, the most obvious of which is the ability to shoot the ball well. But there are some other factors that can make or break your free throw percentage. This entry is designed to help you with the mental aspects of free throw shooting. For a guide to the shot itself, check out Shooting and the BEEF Principle.

  1. Get fouled - in order to get the maximum amount of trips to the line, you have to create situations in which you will get fouled. The easiest way to do this is to drive to the lane, but be careful! The defense will look to take a charge!

  2. Take the ball from the referee and clear your mind - don't think about the score of the game or the fact that your boyfriend is watching or about that college scout in the third row or about your lousy free throw percentage. Think of only one thing: that the ball is going to go up, over the rim, and in. Make it your mantra. 'Up and over and in. Up and over and in.' This will get you into a rhythm.

  3. Step up to the line - most arenas will have a nail placed at the exact centre of the free throw line. Once you have the ball in your hands, step up to the line by placing the big toe of your shooting foot1 directly behind the nail and your non-shooting foot slightly behind shoulder width apart. Caution: If you step over the line when you have the ball, even if you're not shooting it, it is a lane violation and even if the ball goes in, it will not count.

  4. Your routine - you should shoot every free throw in exactly the same manner. Whether you always wipe your socks, dribble the ball three times, whatever, always do it the same way. You can even regulate your breathing so that you release the ball at the same point of exhalation every time. The goal is to commit every part of your successful free throw to your muscle's memory so that it becomes an automatic series of motions.

  5. Bend your knees - you should bend your knees and then release the ball as you straighten back up. Don't shoot with your knees locked and don't neglect your legs altogether2 because your legs are where you get your power from.

  6. Let it go... - and have confidence that it will go in!

  7. Between shots - if you have more than one shot, step off the line between them and then step back up when the referee gives you the ball again. This prevents your body (especially your knees) from locking up.

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Of course, the best way to up your free throw percentage is to practice every day! Repetition is the key to building up your muscle memory. Keep track of the number of shots you make and take on a chart so that you can see your improvement and stay motivated.

Also, shooting under different pretend 'circumstances' can help you deal with the stress of shooting free throws under pressure.

1If you are right handed, your shooting foot is your right foot. Vice versa if you're a lefty.2These are the reasons that Shaquille O'Neil and Alonzo Mourning shoot free throws so poorly.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A821927

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more