Anti-Flag - the Band Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Anti-Flag - the Band

2 Conversations

Formed in 1993, Anti-Flag have always had a very political message, encouraging listeners to think for themselves, rather than accepting the ideas of both mainstream society and the punk scene. With the message of 'Autographs separate. Stay together!' the band have so far released five full-length albums of energetic, political punk rock shying away from the 'rock star' lifestyle. Hailing from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, criticisms of America's consumerist culture and involvement in many overseas conflicts are frequent song themes. From their very first full-length release, Die for the Government, the theme of informed resistance to the apathetic right was clear.

They call that being a patriot, but I just call it ignorant. If you don't fight to make things better, then you're the one betraying this country - Lyrics from 'Red, White and Brainwashed'.

Along with such succinct lyrics as these, releases often include excerpts from esteemed writers such as Howard Zinn, Matthew Rothschild and Noam Chomsky. An official website with a comprehensive set of links also encourages the fans to inform themselves, rather than just being passive listeners.

The Members

Members of Anti-Flag have been playing in various bands around Pittsburgh since the late 1980s. Playing under humorous pseudonyms, the band's line-up at the time of their first release was:

  • Justin Sane - Vocals and Guitar
  • Andy-Flag - Vocals and Bass
  • Pat Thetic - Drums

On many songs, Justin Sane's cutting vocals would interplay with Andy-Flag's more melodic, tuneful singing. This was used to excellent effect, and created an album of varied songs in much the same manner as the Lennon/McCartney partnership of The Beatles.

Unfortunately, tensions within the band were growing. By the end of Anti-Flag's second tour, bassist Andy-Flag had quit. After a series of reshuffles, borrowed members from other bands and general comings and goings, Anti-Flag took another form:

  • Justin Sane - Vocals and Guitar
  • Chris Head - Guitar and Backing Vocals
  • Chris #2 - Bass and occasional lead vocals
  • Pat Thetic - Drums

From then on the new, bigger Anti-Flag could continue with increased guitar and vocal support. Tensions and tempers within the band were calmed, and this new line-up still exists today (at the time of writing). When writing about the stability of his band, guitarist Justin Sane said:

We've done four full US tours, three full Canadian tours, and a number of East Coast tours without a single argument. Disagreements? Yes. But nothing that wasn't worked out like normal f***ing human beings.

The Music

Die for the Government

Released - 1996
Label - New Red Archives1

Die for the Government was the band's debut release. The lyric sheet also included an article by Dave Grenier from Pittsburgh's Retrogression Fanzine about the divisions and stupidity within the local scene. The release's 17 songs of energetic, varied punk rock was an excellent debut for Anti-Flag. Furthermore, the social and political themes of the album informed many listeners of issues not always presented by more popular bands.

Their System Doesn't Work For You

Released - 1998
Label - A-F Records

Their System Doesn't Work For You was released on Anti-Flag's own record label, this album contains songs from an out-of-print split CD with DBS and previously unreleased material. With 19 songs, this is Anti-Flag's longest recording so far.

A New Kind of Army

Released - 1999
Label - Go Kart Records

This release built on everything that Die for the Government had started. It was also the first full-length album to feature Anti-Flag's second guitarist, Chris Head. New members introduced a new sound to Anti-Flag, and A New Kind of Army shows it. However, the old ideals: passionate lyrics, raw energy and love for the fans, were still there.

Underground Network

Released - 2001
Label - Fat Wreck Chords

In early 2001 the band signed with San Francisco's Fat Wreck Chords and released the song 'Seattle was a Riot' on the label's new compilation CD. Moving to a more established label helped the band reach a much wider audience, and also enabled them to tour in Europe. This move also allowed them to take full advantage of the label's trademark quality production, making Underground Network their most professional sounding recording yet.

Mobilize

Released - 2002
Label - A-F Records

On September 11, 2001, terrorists destroyed the World Trade Centre in New York, USA. A few days later, Anti-Flag released the song 'Mobilize for Peace'. Available for free on the internet via MP3, the song was a touching plea for peace at such a difficult time. The song later went on to appear on the album Mobilize. The band's latest album includes eight new songs, plus eight live recordings.

The Message

'Anti-Flag'

The very name 'Anti-Flag' represents the band's rejection of many of the 'accepted' ideas blindly followed by modern society. The band stress that the name is not a rejection of the American people, or any other people for that matter. In the band's own words:

Anti-Flag does not mean Anti-American. Anti-Flag means anti-war. Anti-Flag means the common people of the world are better off living in unity and peace. Anti-Flag means to stand against corporate greed that hurts millions while benefiting a handful of extremely rich. Anti-Flag means to fight against mindless nationalism. Anti-Flag means unity.

Politics

Politics is a very strong in the majority of Anti-Flag's songs. Political ideas explored include:

  • War
  • Anarchism
  • The media's influence on modern society
  • American activity in Vieques, Puerto Rico
  • The CIA
  • Patriotism
  • Police brutality
  • September 11th

Social Messages

Along with politics, many Anti-Flag songs contain strong social messages. As active members of the punk, vegan/vegetarian and straight edge2 communities, it is unsuprising that these ideas feature in their work. Social ideas explored include:

  • American culture
  • Punk poseurs
  • Nihilism
  • Racism/sexism/homophobia
  • Drinking to be cool
  • Alternative media

Inform Yourself

In 2001, Anti-Flag released their album Underground Network. In the same year, the band went to various demonstrations including the campaign to free Mumia Abu-Jamal, which they attended on behalf of their friends Rage Against the Machine. While the band still wrote passionately about politics, they also decided to focus on using the alternative media to encourage its audience to inform itself. The album's lyric booklet included a large collection of web address, article excerpts and additional information with which listeners could learn more about Anti-Flag's ideals. In their own words:

Our thinking was that people wouldn't so easily be able to treat our band as entertainment, but instead it would be a vehicle that would force them to think. They didn't have to agree with us! We just wanted to make a point that we weren't there only to entertain, we had something to say, there was a fundamental belief behind the band.

After five full-length albums, Anti-Flag continue to send a message against the apathetic, the prejudiced and the corrupt.

1More commonly know by the ironic acronym 'NRA'. 'NRA' also stands for 'National Rifle Association.2'Straight edge' is more commonly written as 'sXe'. It is an abstention from alcohol, recreational drugs, cigarettes and in some cases casual sex.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A794397

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more