Iced Tea without Boiling Water Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Iced Tea without Boiling Water

4 Conversations

A jug of iced tea.

It sounds obvious doesn't it - 'iced tea without boiling water'. If the water was boiling it couldn't be iced tea, right? Well, of course, the boiling water reference is with regard to the actual making of the tea. This is a recipe which does not require a kettle.

You will need:

  • Two jugs
  • Good quality loose-leaf tea
  • Water
  • A refrigerator
  • A tea strainer
  • Lemon juice (optional)

Method

  1. Firstly, fill one of the jugs with cold water. Add the tea according to taste - start off with one tablespoon per pint (about 0.5 litres) of water and adjust the strength if you prefer a weaker or a stronger tea. You should use a tea with a good strong flavour such as Assam. Weaker and more subtle teas don't suit this method.

  2. Place the jug into a refrigerator and leave it overnight. To tea connoisseurs, this will sound like heresy. Surely the tea will be stewed beyond all recognition? Actually, because the recipe uses cold water, the bitter elements of the tea leaf will not infuse into the water and ruin the result.

  3. Next morning, strain the tea into the second jug and, if you wish, add the squeezed juice of half a lemon. The tea is now ready to be enjoyed on warm summer days, with plenty of ice and a slice of lemon.

  4. If you also have a freezer, it's a good idea to make ice cubes from the tea. Using these instead of normal water ice will prevent the tea from becoming weak and insipid in the glass as the ice melts and dilutes it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A793659

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more