The Shaggs - the Band Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Shaggs - the Band

2 Conversations

The Shaggs, it is generally agreed by those who have heard them, are probably the worst band ever committed to vinyl. The band was made up of three sisters, Dorothy, Helen, and Betty Wiggin, from the tiny isolated town of Fremont, New Hampshire. The sisters did not form the band by themselves; rather, it was their father's idea.

Austin Wiggin's Big Idea

Despite the fact that they had shown no musical inclination, Austin Wiggin had the idea that his girls could be the next 'big thing', like the Beatles. He named the band for the long, shaggy hairstyles then in fashion. On his textile factory worker's salary, he bought the girls their instruments and paid for their lessons. He devised a gruelling rehearsal schedule for them (which even included calisthenics) and booked studio time.

Two Inexplicable Albums

The Shaggs cut enough material for two albums, Philosophy of the World and Shaggs' Own Thing. Despite being immersed in music, the Shaggs consistently demonstrated little or no proficiency whatsoever. They could not sing, tune or play their instruments, or write very good songs, much less play together as a band. It was only through the powerful will of their father that the Shaggs stayed together, from their formation in 1967 until Austin's death in 1975.

Thus was the world given the Shaggs, now notorious for their distinct blend of 'aboriginal' rock. All who listen to them are blown away by the primitiveness and incompetence of the music. It seems that the music doesn't fall apart only through the Shaggs' sheer willpower.

Famous in Fremont

But if the Shaggs are so truly awful, how is it that their music persists? How did they escape from oblivion into notoriety, with an adoring fan base? What is the appeal of the Shaggs?

Certainly the Shaggs were well known in their native Fremont. Around the time Philosophy of the World was recorded (1969), the band - now with a fourth sister, Rachel, playing bass guitar onstage - secured a gig at the Fremont Town Hall, playing a weekly dance party. Though they were often jeered at, there was nothing else going on, and so the Shaggs kept this gig for many years.

Though they didn't gig outside Fremont, the Shaggs may have had some luck on the radio. Only 100 copies of Philosophy... were released, but one fell into the hands of WBCN, a major Boston rock station - who apparently played it. In any case, the Shaggs kept their heads above water enough to attract some major fans. Frank Zappa called Philosophy... his third-favourite album and swore the Shaggs were 'better than the Beatles'. They apparently were also seen as sex symbols by US soldiers in Vietnam.

The band NRBQ later picked up on the Shaggs, reissuing Philosophy... in 1980. Their keyboardist, Terry Adams, also co-produced a later reissue which put together Philosophy... with tracks from Shaggs' Own Thing (and featured the original artwork). In the compendium Rolling Stone's Alt-Rock-A-Rama (1996) there are three references to the Shaggs, and Philosophy... is listed as one of the most influential alternative releases of all time. Today the Shaggs continue to enjoy a small revival.

Viva The Shaggs!

So why do people listen to the Shaggs? Some people find them absolutely hilarious and put on the record for a good laugh. Some are fascinated by the learning process they can hear. The songs can serve as an interesting study of what people do when they are learning to play and write music. Others are drawn by the Shaggs' sincerity. In an era of slick, mass-produced pop music, some find the Shaggs' unpretentiousness delightful and refreshing.

Sadly, the Shaggs, as always, are still largely obscure. However your ear judges them, they are absolutely unique and deserve to be heard.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A762653

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more