Babe Among the Stars: October

1 Conversation

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Hallowe'en

The summer holidays are barely over when the shops are advertising all kinds of ghoulish apparel and disgusting-looking adornments in preparation for Hallowe'en revelry at the end of October. I have written Hallowe'en specials in previous BATS columns, so for now I'll just update you with the latest scary images from the Astronomy Picture of the Day website. There's last year's Hallowe'en Moon  — how spooky are those dark swirling bat-shaped clouds? Even the Moon looks menacing! Another new image is the truly weird 'cosmic phantom' which looks just like an asymmetrical dress to me. What does the unusual reflection nebula in Cepheus, known as VdB 152, remind you of?

October Notes

Meteor showers are the result of the Earth passing through the debris trail left behind from a comet's last orbit. The showers can be timed and some shows are more spectacular than others, depending upon the amount of debris hitting the Earth's atmosphere. The Moon also plays a part in the spectacle; a brightly-lit moon can drown out all but the brightest fireballs, whereas an invisible new moon allows us a few hours of dark-sky viewing. This month's best meteor shower is the Orionids, so named because they appear to originate from the constellation of Orion. The parent comet responsible for the Orionids is perhaps the most famous in history, Halley's Comet. The Orionids occur between 15 - 29 Oct, with the maximum expected around 20/21 Oct. Unfortunately the Moon will be just about full, which will spoil the celestial fireworks party somewhat.

Comet Hartley 2 (103P) covers Cassiopeia, Perseus, Camelopardalis, Auriga and Gemini during October. Watch out for it on any clear night. On 11 Oct it will pass eta Perseii and on the 19th the comet will rendezvous with epsilon Aurigae. If you can locate M38 in Auriga then try that direction on 22 Oct, as the comet will be nearby. Comet Hartley 2 reaches perihelion (gets closest to the Sun) in the constellation Gemini on 28 October. This is also the day that the Moon occults one of Gemini's stars (see Diary Dates below). If I were an astrologer I'd be promoting this date as auspicious but I'm not so I'll leave that to the mystics.

October Diary Dates


  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among the Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

27.09.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A74642169

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more