A Conversation for University of Cambridge, UK

Exam grading...

Post 1

26199

'Unlike many other universities, where the final grade of the degree is based on scores throughout the three years, a Cambridge grade is based purely on the score in the Part II.'

Not true - I'm taking the Computer Science option in the natural science tripos, and not only do I have exams at the end of every year, they all count individually...

That is, I'll get a grade for each year, and I'll have to give all three to prospective employers.

This means that, already, I'm about to take exams that'll determine what goes on my CV...

They don't make it easy for us, for some reason smiley - smiley


Exam grading...

Post 2

Danny B

Ah, but since when did CompScis matter... smiley - winkeye


Exam grading...

Post 3

26199

Nearly forgot to say, nice article smiley - smiley

If anyone wants to see some pictures of Caius (my college), I have a few on my home page:

http://home.neo.rr.com/centralstation

Jus' follow the 'caius' link on the left...


Exam grading...

Post 4

26199

Gasp... CompScis have always mattered!

The same thing applies to anyone else in the natural science tripos, though, if compscis aren't good enough for you smiley - smiley


Exam grading...

Post 5

Danny B

Are you sure..? Speaking as an ex-NatSci (OK, ex-Medic, but the principle is the same) I've only ever quoted my Part II grade on my CV or on any other occasion when I've needed a grade.


Exam grading...

Post 6

26199

Hmm, pretty sure, yep...

Then again, you can get away with just quoting the best grade, I think, but technically you're supposed to quote all three...

I'll see if I can check with someone, though.


Exam grading...

Post 7

Danny B

Wow - maybe I got my job under false pretences! smiley - yikes


Exam grading...

Post 8

26199

Ah, well, if they don't know enough to ask, 's their loss smiley - smiley


Exam grading...

Post 9

Rogerrio

Technically speaking, Cambs doesn't give a final grade for any exams. However the magic grade that most people care about is your final year - your exit velocity, if you will. Most other Universities however blend the overall grade.

You'll find, though, that whilst many employers say "must have 2.1" or something like that, they will in fact ask for transcripts of all your results from all your exams, independnat of where you studied.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more