A Conversation for Crop Circles

Westbury Crop Circle

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Hi Zaphod,

I'm relatively new to h2g2, and so occasionally browse around and click on entries that interest me.

I live almost in the epicentre of CS territory.

I reckon I saw the very first one of recent times when I observed a 'singleton' at the foot of Westbury Hill. I've forgotten the date (temporaily) but I would be able to find it out by checking postcrds that I bought whilst on holiday in France that year. However, having justread a book on the subject this afternoon ,it said that the crop circle(s) appeared in Westbury in 1980. This would feel about right.

This was several years before I read about the phenomenon. I remember standing on the White Horse and looking down into the field below, wondering what on Earth could have caused a perfect circle in the corn, with no vehicle marks or anything. I recall that I mentally speculated on things like Mad MNarch Hares charging around in circles, thus flattenuing the corn - but why was the circle so perfect?

Retrospectively, I always wish I had taken a photo and/or written a letter to the local rag - to immortalise my name with the phenomenon.


<smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more