A Conversation for Augustus - Roman Emperor (63 BC - 14 AD)

Footnote 7 - Prof. Fagan

Post 1

Steve K.

I find the Roman "Empire" fascinating, and am enjoying all the recent entries. As the US "empire" fades (volume ... what, about 12 in the westward march?), it will be interesting to see if the coming Asian "empire" has new ideas. Of course, this is their second outing, so they should not be starting from scratch.

You mention Prof. Fagan of Penn State Univ. (footnote 7). He has a very good series of recorded lectures on the "History of Ancient Rome", available here:

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/coursedescriptions/340.asp?id=340&d=History+of+Ancient+Rome&pc=History%20-%20Ancient%20and%20Medieval

I enjoyed every lecture, and recall specifically his opening comments, along the lines of how little documented information we have from ancient Rome. I think he said its like viewing the Louvre, but only through the keyholes.


Footnote 7 - Prof. Fagan

Post 2

echomikeromeo

Thanks for reading, Steve!smiley - smiley

I'll have to check out those lectures.


Footnote 7 - Prof. Fagan

Post 3

Steve K.

Just a tip on the Teaching Company, publisher of Prof. Fagan's lectures - they have rotating sales all year, so virtually every course goes on DEEP discount periodically, like from several hundred $ to maybe $50 - $100. Some of their audio courses are now available as MP3 downloads, the cheapest way. So I burned the last one to a CD and played it in my car.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Augustus - Roman Emperor (63 BC - 14 AD)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more