A Conversation for 'Oranges and Lemons' - The Nursery Rhyme

Bow church

Post 1

hux

Just a small point: St Mary-le-Bow and Bow Church are two different things.


Bow church

Post 2

Mina

Have you got something to back that up? Like the whereabouts of Bow Church if, as you say, it's different?

I put a lot of research into this entry, and I'm fairly sure it's all correct. However, I am happy to change things if it's proved that I'm not.


Bow church

Post 3

Researcher 240073

Although very confusing, there are 2 churches in London known as Bow Church, the first being St Mary-le-Bow, and the second St Mary at Bow, about 3 miles away from St Mary-le-Bow.


Bow church

Post 4

darryl_biggs

Oh c'mon... what a stupid comment to this researcher.

Its is so well documented that the church in this rhyme (and for that matter where the Bow Bells resides that a true cockney must be in earshot of) is St Mary-le-Bow and has nothing to do with St Mary and the Bow area. just a simple google search brings up tonnes of stuff on this. I thought we had got over this once common mistake.

Good research and a well writen piece.


Bow church

Post 5

Mina

I'm not sure who's comment you say is stupid, I hope it's not mine. smiley - erm

I, personally, never rely on Google for this sort of thing. Google can only return hits on what people have put onto websites - and if the majority have got things wrong - so will Google. I've seen it before - one person gets it wrong, then as is the nature of the internet, the next person creating a site copies the first one and suddenly the wrong info is all over the place, and when people like me research things properly we get told we're wrong. Hah.

I prefer to go out and check a library, or vist the places to find out the real history. I think I also rang the British Library for information in this article, although it meant I ended up removing a fact that turned out to be wrong.

Thank you for saying it's a good entry with good research, especially as you had to sign up to say it.


Bow church

Post 6

lyndalynda

Bow Church is in Bow. It's actually on a traffic island in the middle of Bow High Street.
St Mary le Bow is in Cheapside in the City of London.
They are two different churches.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more