A Conversation for The Calendar in Anno Domini (AD)

About Augustus

Post 1

manolan


Actually, I thought the Senate wanted to honour him and he chose the month after July, not wanting to be seen to get ahead of Julius.

Also, on the AD 1 vs 1 AD point, I'm glad you put that in. On this issue, h2g2 is unequivocally wrong. This is a rather annoying solecism which should be stopped at all cost!


About Augustus

Post 2

Dubo


More than little pedantic, don't you think?


About Augustus

Post 3

manolan


I was being _slightly_ OTT, though I do loathe postfixing the AD and think it's wonderful that h2g2 has an entry which points out how silly one of their editorial rules is.


About Augustus

Post 4

The Dali Llama

I heartily agree with manolan on this one. AD=Anno Domini=Year of our Lord. It comes inthe same placement it would in English. would you write 2000 year of our lord? Didn't think so.


About Augustus

Post 5

The Dali Llama

I heartily agree with manolan on this one. AD=Anno Domini=Year of our Lord. It comes inthe same placement it would in English. would you write 2000 year of our lord? Didn't think so.


About Augustus

Post 6

shagbark

when the article was written I used AD 1 but the editors decided that
they wanted to follow their standard system which made it 1 AD
however they left in the comments about it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more