A Conversation for The Life and Works of JRR Tolkien

silmarillion

Post 1

The Infinite God Emperor and Untimely Messiah of the republic of Nog, or just Infi

just a quick note, Tolkien began writing the basis for the Silmarillion while he was in the trenches on scraps of paper and the like.

It was in the trenches that it all started, At least thats what ive been told...


silmarillion and Myth

Post 2

pierrebonchance

"It was in the trenches that it all started, At least thats what ive been told..."

Many things have been told to many people without much basis but extrapolation and fanciful thinking. If you can give a source (preferably verifiable) for these assertions then all well and good, but otherwise rumours can get established as urban myth by inclusion into an article on the good old WWW. For example, there are many sites professing to know the origin of the word 'okay', but if you look at the Oxford English Dictionary site AskOxford, there is no verifiable evidence for these explanations and some evidence to contradict most of them.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more