Ministry Of Sound, Knebworth 2001 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Ministry Of Sound, Knebworth 2001

1 Conversation

The Ministry of Sound 2001 Knebworth Dance Festival kicked off at 2pm on the 11 August, 2001. Knebworth can be found just south of Stevenage, Herts, UK. If you're planning on getting there by train, head for Stevenage train station and take the specially laid on bus to Old Knebworth. Do not get out at Knebworth train station as you are miles from where you need to be and there is no way of getting to Old Knebworth quickly.

What Is It?

Very basically, it's a dance music festival. This one was held in 11 different large tents playing a variety of dance music. And there was an open air stage which featured Jamiroquai, although Loaded magazine stated 'Jamiroquai are playing, but don't let that put you off going'.

Who Goes There?

All sorts tend to go there, although if you really hate dance music in all its forms and guises, it might not be for you. Don't worry too much about not being able to dance - just wait until about 10pm at night when it's dark and most people are beyond caring about making their dancing look any good. The people at Knebworth were very friendly, although this may be due to the fact that some of them would've been on ecstasy1.

People were searched for such substances as well as glass bottles and offensive weapons upon entrance, so don't go getting any ideas.

How Much Does it Cost?

Expect to pay £40 - £50 sterling for your tickets, depending on where you get them from. Do be cautious if you're intending to buy tickets at the gate as you will likely be offered forgeries for sale.

Here's a quick guide to what everything else costs you:

  • Drinks - Paid for by 'bar tokens', each token costs £1.50 and will buy you a bottle of water or a can of cola. You need two tokens to buy a can of lager or a bottle of Red (a vodka/energy drink mix in a bottle). There was free cider available, which was nice.

  • Food - The variety of food available was a choice between burger van, pasta, noodles or pizza. A burger will cost you around £2, and chips (French fries) will cost around £1.50. Perhaps a little pricey.

  • Programme - These are handy things if you want to know which of the 160 or so DJs is playing at which arena and at what time. They'll cost you £5 no matter who you buy them from.

  • Disposable Cameras - You'll find people selling you these and other things as you queue up for the entrance. It'll set you back £5 and is probably a good idea since you wouldn't want to take a valuable camera around while you're jumping up and down like a crazed kangaroo on the dancefloor.

Herbal Highs

You can get yourself a legal version of ecstasy or whatever else you fancy at one of several herbal high stalls. They will, as you might imagine, have little or no effect on you but you can have lots of fun pretending that they've worked while your friends get increasingly worried about you.

Is It a Late Night?

No, more of an early morning. The Knebworth '01 event finished at around 6am, although the venue seemed pretty empty by about 4.30am. If you want to beat the traffic, try and get out by 5.30am.

How Can you Stay Awake that Long?

Many people simply don't. You'll find people asleep on the floor while an ear-splitting decibel level is being pumped at them. You can buy energy drinks at the festival, as well as coffee, and you could always take some 'Pro Plus' energy tablets with you, too, but bearing in mind the dangers that an excess of caffeine can cause. Ecstasy may also help people stay awake, although this should not be attempted and you're going to be much better off if you just get a good night's sleep beforehand and stick to caffeine.

Is there a Dress Code?

Apparently not. You can wander round in just a pair of shorts if you like, although it's suggested that ladies not try this. Take a look at Virtual-Festivals if you want to see what people were wearing at Knebworth.

1A drug, also known as methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) which is known to make users 'love' everybody.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A668405

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more