A Conversation for Seasonal Gardening Timetable

Hi-rise gardening

Post 1

Nyree Rose - Doll in a Tube wearing National Costume

It is obvious that this would be a different kind of horticulture all together. It is best not to use plants which will grow too large. Problems connected with this:-Takes up too much room - plants tend to "windmill" in the breeze(or galeforce winds) causing them to loosen and often, break or be "pulped".
It is advisable to use soiless compost and a layer of polystyrene at the bottom of the planter.This reduces weight - essential if you have a balcony.An attractive alternative to wooden troughs(attached to railings) is Portable Horse Mangers(designed to be put over the stable door).These are available from Horse Supply Wholesalers who deliver to your door.They come in lovely bright colours and can be easily drilled, for drainage.
Watering can be a twice a day event in the warmer months. Although you shouldn't water during heat of the day, it is sometimes necessary to do so. Take care not to get the foliage wet.In especially hot weather, a saucer of water below each plant will help but will, in no way, replace the need to water.Failure to give a plentiful supply of water will "stress" the plant, which leads to problems with flowering and irregular growth.
Plants which do well tend to be the old favourites:-Impatiens(Busy Lizzies), Fuschia, Dwarf Marigolds, Alyssum, Ageratum, Lobelia.This is just some. I have found some alpines do very well:-Campanula carpactica and Dianthus.
For the winter months, it is nice to have something to look at.Plant bulbs and small shrubs.
Remember, most compost for containers easily looses its nutrients and regular feeding is essential during the growing months. Always Water and Feed together. For permanent plants, top-dress with fresh compost every year but beware of repotting too often. This can cause the plant to put on loads of new growth and this can cause a non-flowerer.


(This is some of my experiences of balcony gardening. I am sure other people will have conflicting advise!!smiley - winkeye)


Hi-rise gardening

Post 2

The Artist formerly known as Hullabaloo


smiley - cool This could be the basis of a Guide Entry smiley - cool

Hull smiley - vampire


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more