A Conversation for The Wirral Peninsula, Merseyside, UK

couple of points

Post 1

Norton II

1- why didn't you mention new brighton? i was born there, so i'm a little touchy about this!
2- tranmere are a second division team, not first division.

I am glad however, that you mentioned the walk. there's some beautiful countryside on the wirral.


couple of points

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

G'day there Norton. Why don't you write an article about New Brighton? I'm sure it would be a spplendid addition to the Edited Guide smiley - smiley

Hopefully, the editors will correct the Tranmere blemish when they arrive at work tomorrow. They normally check the previous day's threads each morning.


couple of points

Post 3

Ashley



Fixed smiley - smiley


couple of points

Post 4

BigJohnd

SOME WIRRAL FIRSTS:

The classic view of the Liverpool Waterfront is best seen from Woodside.

The UK's first hovercraft service was from Wallasey to North Wales. It is no longer operating.

The first train in morning from West Kirby arrives in Lime Street just after the first train to London leaves.

St. Georges School on Leasowe Road (now Council Offices) is the most northerly building in the world heated by the sun. Unfortunately it doesn't work because of fire prevention regulations, and rooms can reach over 30ÂșC on a sunny day.

There are over a dozen golf courses in the Borough, a figure no other metropolitan borough in the country can match. But the "Leisure Peninsula" has no 50m swimming pool. skating rink or active commercial theatre. Chris Boardman won a Gold Medal at the Olympics for cycling despite the lack of facilities in Wirral.

Wirral is the eighth largest metropolitan borough, and the largest without City status. (The bigger 7 being Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford.)

New York's Central Park was copied from Birkenhead Park.

The Bidston Ward is ranked as the most impoverished ward in England and Wales; Seacombe/Egremont is not far behind.

Wirral Residents top three complaints to the Council during 2001 were:
1. Dog Crap (so wear your wellies on the Wirral Way and the beaches);
2. The lack of (alcohol-free) out-of-school social facilities for teenagers;
3. The poor condition of the roads and their lack of repair.

The sunsets over Hilbre Island and Anglesey are the best in country.

Dixons in Birkenhead Precinct is said to be one of their most profitable stores when measured on goods sold per price of sq. ft. of floor space, and their goods are cheaper than the Duty Free Store at Heathrow Airport.

There is no N.S.P.C.C. branch on Wirral.

"Chariots of Fire" was filmed at The Oval.

No two houses in the Port Sunlight Model Village are alike.

Ray Stubbs who hosts the BBC's Football Focus is a local lad and a closet Rovers Fan.

Wirral failed in its bid to become the Naval Museum of the North - it is in Salford where Prince Charles's wooden minsweeper "Bronington" is moored behind the Lowrey Centre.

Any more?


couple of points

Post 5

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Wirral's entry in the h2g2 Guide was edited by a New Zealander who has never visited Wirral smiley - winkeye


couple of points

Post 6

Researcher 201260

glad to see someone knows something about the wirral. Other great points are.

we have a german U boat on a stick

wilfred owen was educated at birkenhead institute


couple of points

Post 7

BigJohnd

Update:

Prince Charles's wooden minsweeper "Bronington" is now in the dock alongside the frigate, HMS Plymouth which served in the South Atlantic and a submarine, HMS Onyx. The rusty German sub, U-534 is on the quayside alongside. See: [Broken link removed by Moderator]

Hoylake Lifeboat Day is held on August Bank Holiday. See http://members.aol.com/hoyRNLI/Hoy3.html for this year's programme, and http://www.hilbreview.mersinet.co.uk/openday2001/index.htm for some pictures from 2001. It's the biggest Lifeboat Day in the whole of GB and Ireland.

My son was at the Cream show at Liverpool Airport over the weekend. He said it was megga before he crashed out.

PS: Diouf is cool!




couple of points

Post 8

rabbi williams(famous jewish pub singer)

JUST TO CARRY ON YOUR LITTLE RANT BIKENHEAD HAS THE OLDEST AND FIRST SCOUT HUT.I THINK THATS IT,OH HANG ON THE FLORAL PAVILLION IS A COMMERCIAL THEATER.OH AND IT MAY NOT HAVE AN OLYMPIC POOL BUT IT DOES HAVE A DRY SKI SLOPE EVEN THOUGH ITS ONLY ABOUT 3 FOOT LONG


couple of points

Post 9

BigJohnd

The British Open is returning to Hoylake in July 2006 - about time too, it's not been here since 1967.

http://www.royal-liverpool-golf.com/
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/events/PRshow.asp?PRId=408
http://www.hilbreview.mersinet.co.uk/royallivgc/index.htm

I'm sure all the residents of Meols Drive will all be on holiday that week, and offering their house for rent to golf addicts. And the regulars of Hoylake Municipal will not be happy that their favourite Golf Course will have 5,000 cars parked on it.

Never mind, think of the money we can fleece from the Yanks if they don't declare war on us when they see the oil rigs in the Irish Sea.




couple of points

Post 10

lil_lenon

Don't know much about the bacteria in the water mentioned in the article, but both West Kirby and New Brighton beaches have recently been awarded Blue Flags and i'm pretty sure that qualification for them requires testing of the water as well of facilities.

On the scouting theme the very first Scout World Jamboree was held in Wirral at Arrowe Park.

As for people from the Wirral, what about the BBC's own John Peel?


couple of points

Post 11

thefox37

Also the Guide dogs for the blind was started at the clif in New Brighton, there is a statue of no breed of bog I have ever seen next to the theater


Hovercraft

Post 12

bobmarg

The very first Hovercraft set off from Moreton in about 1962 to Rhyl North Wales


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more