A Conversation for One Brain - Two Halves

Split-brain Experments

Post 1

Zucchini

As the two hemispheres are only connected by a small section of the brain, what would happen if this connection is severed?
This has been attempted as a treatment for extreme schizophrenic patients. The results are... spooky. The two brain halves develop independently. Putting a divider between the subjects left and right vision allows communication between the two personalities at the same time, and between the two brain halves themselves. Each develops their own personality.
I'm sure most people will say that they feel they have two sides to them; two personalities. That's because every person is actually two people :>
If anyone out there knows about these experiments, I'm keen to know more...


Split-brain Experments

Post 2

Zucchini

I should point out that this seems to differ a little from the split-brain surgery described in the above guide entry. In the experiments I refer to, each brain half effectively develeped their own left-right asymmetry over a period of time.


Split-brain Experments

Post 3

iReport

I think I know why we're meant to have 2 sides... 2 opinions. It must be for balance. Think about it, everything in the universe is balanced. Good - Evil, Matter - Antimatter, Light - Dark. Maybe the Balance of our brain is what allows us to be sain.


Split-brain Experments

Post 4

Zucchini

Ah the whole Yin Yang thing.
Good and Evil are balanced? How do you even begin to measure such malleable, inconsistant human concepts, even amongst just the people you've met, let alone the whole universe? Matter and Antimatter - the jury's still out on that one. Light and Dark are balanced? Hmm, interesting one. Light is a lot of electromagnetic radiation. Dark is the absence of it. Is the amount of apples in the universe balanced out by the amount of absence of apples?

We've got two of most things.. eyes, nostrils, heart pumps, kidneys, lungs... it's a redundancy system that allows us to carry on even if something gets damaged. It's interesting that one brain takes on the logical/language responsabilities and the other takes on the emotive/spatial tasks.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more