Turkish Fish Stew Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Turkish Fish Stew

3 Conversations

Fish Stew

This is an excellent dish, very quick and easy to make. It uses loads of coriander and it's quite spicy. You can substitute milk with soya milk. Serves four, amply.

Ingredients

  • Any firm white fish (cod or haddock etc), two or three good-sized fillets chopped into large bite-sized pieces
  • Lots of fresh coriander, chopped - two big bunches1
  • 2 or 3 hot red chillies, finely chopped
  • 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
  • 1 large onion, diced into small cubes
  • 2 red capsicum peppers, chopped into large strips roughly two inches long, half an inch thick
  • 1/2 pint of milk
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Oregano
  • Crusty bread and butter

Method

  1. Pour a few good glugs of olive oil into a wok or large pan. Add diced onion, chopped and crushed chilli and garlic, red pepper strips and heaps of roughly-chopped fresh coriander.

  2. Stir-fry all of this on a high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, till everything is hot (not necessarily cooked) and covered in a shiny, oily glaze. It'll look like a big green mulch; remember to use lots of coriander.

  3. Turn the heat down to low and carefully place chunks of white fish on top. Sprinkle each fish piece with oregano. Cover the wok or pan and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. The fish will gently cook on top of the coriander and onions etc, taking on the flavours underneath.

  4. After 15 mins or so, the fish should be cooked to perfection (not overcooked; just flaky and opaque-coloured). Carefully add the milk, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put the lid back on and simmer for a further 5 minutes on the same low heat setting.

  5. After the 5 minutes are up, ladle your Turkish stew into bowls and serve with crusty bread.

1Try and buy the biggest bunches of coriander possible, and not those weedy little pots you sometimes find in supermarkets.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A655607

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more