Dreams About Cars Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dreams About Cars

1 Conversation

Cars are now so commonplace and such an indispensable part of modern life that we experience them as extensions of our own personality. We identify with them, lavish attention on them, and project our fantasies onto them. As such, dreams about cars can tell us all about the dreamer's self-image, and provides insight into how the dreamer lives his or her life.

For instance, a dream about driving a fast, red Ferrari suggests self-confidence, exuberance and being in control of one's destiny. On the other hand, a dream of driving an old banger may suggest the reverse.

Walking, running, swimming and cycling are all self-sufficient, pro-active and personal modes of progression through life, owing their movement entirely to will and physical effort. A dream about walking suggests that you are travelling 'under your own steam', that you are slowed-down and in close contact with nature, enabling you to 'feel' the earth, trees and air around you. Cycling shows that you are steering your own course without relying on a combustible engine. Such dream images can be about developing independence and autonomy; the more 'natural' form of transport indicating you are more in control of your life and know how to achieve goals. By contrast, cars are a mechanical way of moving through life. Thus, images of cars in a dream represent the controlling force that 'drives' the dreamer.

It is important to note whether the dreamer is behind the wheel of the vehicle, or merely a passenger observing events. If passengers are present, they may serve to influence progress, give encouragement or criticise the driver, as often happens in life. How effectively the dreamer copes with the journey (for example, if they drive erratically or safely, or if they are alert and responsive to danger) it can say much about the dreamer's adjustment to life and their personal development.

Details about the car have important symbolic significance, and the state of the car may yield important clues to the psychological state of the dreamer. The bodywork, steering and engine have a special significance in car dreams. The bodywork may represent the public image or persona of the dreamer, similar to the mask used by an actor in classical times to represent his role1. The engine relates to the inner Self2. The steering is the ego control that the dreamer exerts over his or her life.

Some interpretations of car dreams can be seen below:

  • Driving with broken steering, with the imminent possibility of a serious collision suggests that the dreamer feels powerless in some aspect of life, and may be afraid of an impending accident or disaster on the outside.

  • Mechanical failure on a deserted road miles from anywhere may denote a lack of self-confidence and/or emotional isolation.

  • Engine failure is more significant, and is symbolic of an inner crisis. The dreamer feels at a standstill, disconnected from life, perhaps feeling alone and frustrated, and the deserted road may indicate anxieties about their being no one to turn to for solace, support or guidance.

A General Approach to Car Dreams

Dreams are subtle creatures of the night and are specific to the dreamer, making it difficult to speak generally about dream images. Dreams should also not to be taken too literally, as they are metaphorical and symbolic. As a rule of thumb, their 'meaning' is derived from the context of the dream, the personal associations and the particular psychic situation of the dreamer.

On first encounter, dreams can seem utterly impenetrable. However, adopting an attitude of 'befriending' and listening to the dream, sticking with its images and letting it speak for itself can prove to be productive and beneficial. Because the dream emanates from the primitive unconscious and expresses itself indirectly by means of metaphor, it is recommended to suspend disbelief, thus avoid taking its images too literally. This desire to take dreams literally reflects the dream ego's3 reluctance to relinquish control, being particularly pertinent to car symbolism.

According to the analytical psychologist, CG Jung, dream behaviour is often different and opposes our conscious intentions. His opinion is that the dream compensates the one-sidedness of conscious life. Using the concept of compensation brings the unconscious into relation with consciousness, and provides what is needed to restore psychic balance.

An Example of a Dream

The following dream, and the interpretation given, is used to demonstrate the above principles:

I am driving a large car with a heavy load in tow through a main high street in my home town. I see ahead of me a police road check. The police wear reflective bands on their uniforms. As I approach the Town Hall junction, I begin to lose control of the vehicle, even though I am slowing down. The car veers to the right. I become anxious and know that I will get stopped.

Let's examine this dream step by step.

I am driving a large car with a heavy load in tow through a main high street in my home town.

This can be interpreted to mean that the heavy load of the conscious ego is excessive, burdensome and unstable, and appears to be the main cause of the deviation later in the dream. It suggests the heavy weight of responsibility on the ego, and the baggage we carry behind us, which may need sorting.

I see ahead of me a police road check. The police wear reflective bands on their uniforms.

The police as enforcers of the law, and as collective psychic figures, are those most bound to our literal perspective and our conscious world. They have an arresting effect, bringing to a standstill progress or psychic movement.

As I approach the Town Hall junction, I begin to lose control of the vehicle, even though I am slowing down.

The approaching junction is presumed to be at the centre of the town, representing the heart of the matter. The dream mentions a junction, signifying a turning point in life. Applying the brakes and the loss of control show that the path and direction taken throughout life is not necessarily straight.

The car veers to the right.

As the car slows down, but still deviates, it suggests that the dreamer should relinquish control in order to challenge the world, where normalities are so readily accepted.

I become anxious and know that I will get stopped.

The fact that the driver knows he will get stopped suggests a reflective moment, where the unconscious sees through to the attachments of reality, and suggests a retreat into our unconscious would be beneficial.

Does Any Dream Have a Real Meaning?

Unfortunately, from a scientific point of view, we are unsure as to whether dreams do actually have a meaning behind them or not. However, most people who take their dreams and interpret them, find that dreams can be extremely meaningful. They often provide an insight into the feelings, thoughts, behaviour, motives and values of the dreamer. And it is also well known that many artists and writers gain inspiration from their dreams. So is there a meaning to dreams? Basically, we just don't know. But never let that stop you having a go! A good website to gain interpretations from is The DREAMS Foundation.

1In Jungian Psychology, this mask was used to designate the characteristic roles we individually adopt in relating to others.2For Jung, the inner Self is a dynamic concept at the heart of personality development. The Self is not only the centre of being, but also the whole circumference that embraces the conscious and unconscious. It is the centre of this totality, just as the ego is the centre of the conscious mind.3The dream ego is the way that the dreamer experiences himself, and closely reflects his conscious biases and attitudes. Like the conscious side, it tends to be one-sided and generally blind to deeper considerations, movements and values.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A640847

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more