The Celebrity Game!

5 Conversations

Welcome to the H2G2 edition of The Celebrity Game!

The A Team vanRight about now, you may be asking just exactly what The Celebrity Game! is. Well, it's quite simple, really. By now, everyone knows about Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.A film strip You pick some random person and link them to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less. This is a good way to pass the time, but is limited in some respects. First of all, what if you wish to link to someone other than Kevin Bacon? Alas, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon does not allow this. Secondly, Everything's more fun when it includes a winner and a loser. So, in a nutshell, The Celebrity Game! is a less restrictive, more competetive extension of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Simply put, at the beginning of the match, players agree on a starting and ending celebrity. These can be chosen in any way. They don't even really have to be celebrities, but it isn't really fair to ask someone else to connect your Aunt Bertha to you cousin Norman. Once the celebrities have been chosen, the first player1 connects the starting celebrity to another celebrity. Play goes back and forth, connecting one celebrity to another, until one player finally connects to the ending celebrity. This player is the winner.

Wow, that sounds AMAZING! How do I play?

A poster of a film entitled 'Attack of the Killer Dummies'.I'm glad you asked. The Celebrity Game! is open to all, but there are certain rules that all participants must abide by.

The first rule of Celebrity Game! is you do not talk about Celebrity Game!

The second rule of Celebrity Game! is, well, okay, you can talk about Celebrity Game! Just don't say anything bad, alright.

Rule three, no shirts, no shoes. (this will be enforced by random shirt/shoe security checks)

Rule four, two players to a game.

Rule five, games will go on for as long as they have to.

Rule six, ARTHBARD ROOLZ!2

Rule seven, connections can be made through personal relationships, but not casual acquaintances. Thus it is acceptable to connect Demi Moore to Bruce Willis through their marriage, but it is not allowable to connect Don Johnson to George Lucas just because they bumped into each other on the street one day.

Rule eight, it is also unacceptable to connect two celebrities through meaningless coincidences. Thus, connecting Barry Manilow to Barry White because they have the same first name is not allowed. Likewise, "Because they both suck" is not suffient reason to connect Rosie O'Donnell to Barbara Streisand.

Rule nine, in the case that a player is unfamiliar with a certain celebrity, everyone is allowed three passes for use at any time in the match. Once a player has used all of their passes, the other player must connect the current celebrity to the ending celebrity in six links or less in order to be declared the winner. If this cannot be done, the game ends in a draw.

Rule ten, each player is allowed one "double." A player may use this double at any time in the match to take two turns at once.

Rule eleven, these rules may be altered only if both players are in agreement.

Rule, twelve, no linking through the same movie twice in a row. That is, if someone links Kevin Costner to Tom Petty through The Postman, you cannot immediately use The Postman to link Tom Petty to anyone. You can, however, link through The Postman later in the game, which is good if you have some sick desire to talk about The Postman as much as possible.

Rule thirteen, the most important rule: Have fun. This rule is strictly enforced by a squad of highly-trained, well-armed, ex-military personnel. So turn that frown upside-down. Or else.

Starting a game

Simply start a conversation below, and wait for someone to accept your challenge, or you can simply accept someone else's challenge. Otherwise, respond to the "List My Name" conversation and I will add a link to your personal space here, so that interested parties will be able to go directly to your space and offer a personal challenge.

Celebrity Game! Players

Three women waiting to do a screen testThis is kind of a short list right now, but hopefully, it will grow as more and more people discover how insanely fun, wonderful, and really, really cool The Celebrity Game! is.

U178697

U154942

U126945

U147203

U174303

"Josh is a stupid-head! He keeps making up rules!"

A judo demonstrationHopefully, in the course of playing, no major arguments will arise, but if they do, I'm here to settle them. Since I created this page, I will act as judge, jury, and executioner...er...Did I say executioner? What I meant to say was...really fun, happy non-executioner. Anyway, the point is, if you have any disputes, I encourage you to settle them on you're own. If you are unable to do this, or if you want me to decide whether something breaks the rules, reply to the "Disputes" conversation. I'll teach you to start an argument on my page.

So, have fun with The Celebrity Game!3

1Also chosen in any way.2Rule 6 is sometimes referred to as the Arthbard rule.3And, yes...The exclamation point is mandatory.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A637120

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more