GG: Gnomon

5 Conversations

Gnomon's Guide

A sundial - the black bit like an upside-down y is the gnomon.
It always sounded strangely in my ears, like the word gnomon in the Euclid and the word simony in the Catechism - James Joyce, Dubliners.

Pronounced no mon, this word comes from the same word in Ancient Greek (γνωμων) meaning 'interpreter', 'the one who knows' or 'the one that shows the way'.

A gnomon is a part of a sundial. It is the central spike which casts the shadow, the bit that looks like an upside-down letter y in the picture. In early sundials, the gnomon was vertical, that is, perpendicular to the ground. Hence the word 'gnomonwise' means at right angles. In more recent sundials, the shadow-casting edge is normally parallel to the Earth's axis and points to the celestial pole, the fixed point in the sky around which all the heavens revolve. In a sense, the gnomon always points the same direction while the world turns around it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A620506

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more