A Conversation for Carl Maria von Weber - Composer

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 1

Arwen

It is so nice to finally find something written about Carl Maria von Weber who is mentioned in the 30th chapter of Captain Corelli's Mandolin (I love that book smiley - smiley)

I'm going to have to go and find some of his music on CD now, I didn't realise he had written so much for Clarinet smiley - smiley


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 2

njan (afh)

*grins*... he's a great composer.

Yes, do!... Weber, as I wrote, loved the clarinet, so there's lots of lovely music. *nods*

I recommend his concertino, which is what I spend much of my time playing at the moment (although both clarinet concertos are also brilliant).

Those three works, in my humble opinion, are amongst his best.


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 3

Researcher 110207 Non Sequitur

There's a movie of that book; do they play any of his music in it?


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 4

njan (afh)

I wouldn't have thought so, but I don't know. I haven't seen it.


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 5

Arwen

I have the soundtrack to that movie, and it doesn't have any of his music on it. It's mostly original music composed by Stephen Warbeck (Shakespeare in Love soundtrack) and a bit of opera. It's a good film and a good soundtrack (but not a patch on the book)


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 6

njan (afh)

Ah, right. *nods*

I didn't notice the soundtrack from Shakespeare in Love being particularly good, but then I wasn't really listening.

I'm presuming you've listened to at least some of the soundtrack to, or watched the film, Gladiator? That has a very good sountrack, written by Hans Zimmer (Who did the "Seville" guitar piece from the beginning of the film Mission Impossible 2)


Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Post 7

njan (afh)

Ah! I do apologise! Looking at the soundtrack to Captain Corelli, there's a tracked called "Grand Duo Conc"... which, if I'm right, may be Weber's Grand Duo Concertant... except for the fact that I don't think it was Op. 85, and there's a Grand Duo Concertant by an M. Giuliani which IS Opus number 85. And sounds more likely, since it's guitar and flute. I don't know, I'd have to listen to it. smiley - winkeye

5. Grand Duo Conc, Op.85

Giuliani, M. Grand duo concertant op. 85 (fl, git)


"Grand Duo Conc"...

Post 8

Arwen

Going by the CD of the CCM soundtrack I can't find that anywhere...

Yes I have listened to (and seen) Gladiator. It is one of my favourite films, and the soundtrack to it is absolutely gorgeous, it is the reason that I listen so closely to the music of films now, to try and find another soundtrack as fantastic as that!

Hopefully the Harry Potter one should be good, John Williams is the master after all (the theme from Schindler's List is gorgeous)

However, the soundtrack that is in my CD player at the moment is 'Moulin Rouge'. Ewan McGregor singing... smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Carl Maria von Weber - Composer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more