A Conversation for Stolpersteine - An Everyday Memorial

Some of us already knew...

Post 1

well_spoken

I first noticed a Stolperstein in Koln in about 2004, and being able to understand some German, was able to understand its significance. Some of us go on holiday to Germany, can speak the language, and keep our eyes open!

Anyone going to Berlin might care to look at the responses I got to a question I posted about Stolpersteine in Berlin on a Virtual Tourist forum in 2007: http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-361752-1-1-Travel-0-75302-Berlin-discussion.html (Ignore the ancillary discussion about how Brecht tried to ensure he was not buried alive!)

It seems there are now more web resources available to 'pre-locate' Stolpersteine. It was more fun when you did actually 'stumble' across one.

As the father of someone with a disability, if anyone has any more info on Stolpersteine commemorating victims of Aktion T4, I would be grateful if you added a comment to this conversation. (The T4 memorial, actually three stone pavement slabs, near the Philharmonic in Berlin is shamefully under-visited. If you go to Berlin, try to visit it.)


Some of us already knew...

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Sorry, I only see two responses there, and neither of them has much information - do you have to be logged in to see more?


Thanks

Post 3

well_spoken

Thanks for noting my comments. I suspect there will be few comments with specific info about Stolpersteine to Aktion T4 victims, but I will see what turns up.
Actually, at a conceptual level, I think it would be good if the Stolpersteine were not cataloged on the web or elsewhere, so that each one you came across was a chance discovery.
Sorry to obsess about Aktion T4, but for personal reasons I get upset and angry about it. And it set set the precedent for all that followed... On the subject of public conceptual art and again with reference to T4, were you aware of the recent concrete 'grey bus' installations?

Forgot to say how well-constructed and clear your original article was. It would make an excellent educational resource.


Thanks

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

On a conceptual level, yes, listing them defeats the purpose of not having a central monument that's basically a list. But the clever thing is that the memorial extends way past the 10x10 cm square of brass to encompass the street scene in all its normality. So to really experience it, you still have to go there - and a lot of the websites offer more information for those interested in reading about the stories of those they first encountered on the stones, perhaps after they discover them by chance. smiley - smiley

If you're interested in the "grey bus" art, here's a link to the project's site. http://www.dasdenkmaldergrauenbusse.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=32&lang=en



Perhaps you could to some more research - both about the Aktion T4 and the memorials - and write your own Entry for h2g2?

These are helpful resources if you're just getting started writing for this site: Writing-Guidelines and Writing-Beginners

When you're done, you can submit it to PeerReview and eventually get it published in the Edited Guide - or if you feel you need a bit more help before you go there, you can submit it to the Edited Guide Writing Workshop at Writing-Workshop first.

Keep me updated if you do decide to go for it - I think it would make an excellent addition! If you just want to start a discussion, though, you can try <./>Askh2g2</.>, that's the forum most people read here smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more