TyPolytechnic

13 Conversations


Welcome to the h2g2 TyPolytechnic

Library books on a shelf


This august institution is devoted to the promotion of alternative typography and to rewarding those who do not allow their creative genious to be stifled by the constraints of conventional spelling.


The Typolytechnic

Senza Timore Scribere


Principal:

Ugi MAT

-
keeper
of Typos and Spelling Errers


Senior Lecturer:

LighthousgirlUK DrAT (Hon.)


The TyPoly offers a wide range of courses designed to offer help and support to Alternative Typographers of all levels, from those who are just beginning to throw off the shakles of spelling slavery through to those who are already masters of their craft.

Procrastination


Courses at the TyPolytechnic


The TyPolytechnic is a home study college, allowing you to work in your own time and at your own pace. Once you have completed a piece of work, you should submit it to a thread below and our experienced staff will consider your application for a suitable award. Just let us know where and when you made a typo. If you think it is worthy of one of the higher awards, you might like to say why.


The following awards are currently on offer from the h2g2 TyPolytechnic (beginnig with the most senior).


Professor of Alternative Typography (PrAT)


This is the highest honour currently offered by the Typoly and has not been awarded within h2g2 to date. It will take truly exceptional devotion or undeniable genius to achieve this one - Keep trying!


Currently, the only recipient of the PrAT is the US ex-vice-president Dan Quaile for "correcting" 'Potato' to 'Potatoe' in front of half the world's press and dozens of TV crews, thereby exposing him to a liftime of public ridicule. Congratulations Dan!


Doctor of Alternative Typography (DrAT)


Awarded for years of dedication to the cause of amusing typography, this award currently has only one, honorary, recipient; The Typoly's Senior Lecturer

LighthousgirlUK DrAT (Hon.)

for her dedication to the TyPoly and all it stands for.


Master of Alternative Typography (MAT)


Offered for a single instance of the most humourous or unfortunate mis-spelling or for persistant used of amusing typography.


This award is claimed by the Typolytechnic Principal

Ugi

for use of the phrase "organised pubic chemistry demonstrations" in his CV, of all places!


For the persistant use of "pubic" in place of "public", in newspapers and similar publications, particulary for the use of the phrase "pubic drunkenness" and the headline "Expansion at the pubic library", the award of Master of Alternative Typography has been awarded to Jimi X MAT


Mr X also holds the degree of Bachelor of Alternative Typography (see below)


Bachelor of Alternative Typography (BAT)


Offered for a single piece of work including a humorous or baffling typo, this is currently the Typoly's most popular course. No previous experience required!


Current recipients include:


Ordinary Alternaive Typography Level (OAT)


Awarded for general typos without any requirement for amusement value, almost everyone in h2g2 deserves one of these, so apply to get your "OAT"s today!


Prospectus


As well as hosting the Training Arena for Lexicographic Creativity TALC (see below) the Typolytechnic offers courses which will improve your skills and knowledge in this area and provide you with the opportunity to hone your skills in a supportive environment, guided by our highly skilled and experienced Tutors


Courses currently enrolling students are:

  • W.A.R.T.
    - Wobely Alternate or Reactionary Typology
  • C.A.T.
    - Computer Aided Typology


Follow the links or see the threads below to enroll.


Department for Lexicographic Creativity


A basic skill for an alternative typographer is the creation of new words by minor changes to existing ones. In order to help develop this ability, the TyPolytechnic has set up the Training Arena for Lexicographic Creativity (T.A.L.C.) to allow students to practice and hone their skills. See the T.A.L.C. thread below to join in.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A575912

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more