A Conversation for John Williams - Film Composer

The success of John Williams...

Post 1

Blue_Rondo_a_la_Turk

Whilst listening to a compilation album of his music today it dawned upon me that he does not score for films themselves. Instead he scores Characters, indiana Jones, Darth Vader, Superman, Peter Pan are all some of the most remembered characters and musical themes. Even when characters are not the focus point he uses themes to identify with the movie rather than scoring specific scenes. Examples would be Jurassic Park, the main Star Wars themes, The Cowboys.

Compare this to orchestral scores like the Matrix (Don Davis), or even Jurassic Park 3 which was also scored by Don Davis. Characters are not held up by the music and only when characters naturally stick out (its hard to forget Neo) do we remember them. He may have been a major player in bringing back the big orchestral scores but he's also a major player in character scoring.


Key: Complain about this post

The success of John Williams...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more