Lycanthropy

1 Conversation

A condition which, according to European folk lore, induces the transformation at every full moon of a man into a wolf-like creature. The word "lycanthropy" derives its name from the mythical Greek cult leader Laecon, who refused to believe that Jupiter was a god, and was punished by being exiled and slowly transformed into a wolf.

A wolf

"Werewolfism" came into mainstream western consciousness for the first time in 1945 in the film "Wolf Man", starring Lon Chaney Jnr. as the eponymous shapeshifter (despite the production in 1913 of The Werewolf, the story of which had its roots in American Indian mythology).

Although purporting to include much genuine folklore, the majority of the references in the film were contrived by the screenwriter, Curt Siodmak, including the appearance of a pentagram on the palm of the werewolf's next victim, and this poem:

Even the man who is pure in heart

And says his prayers by night,

May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms

And the moon is pure and bright.

In the case of this film (which has left a legacy of werewolf lore of its own), the "rules" governing werewolfism are these:

1) Only a bite from a werewolf will render a man susceptible to the condition.

2) Once bitten, said man will transform into a wolf-like creature on the night of a full moon, if wolfbane grows in the surrounding area.

3) The man will remain as the creature until the sun rises the next morning, and will only change again the following night. This continues until the moon wanes into its next phase.

4) The man has no control over his wolf-self - he may kill those closest to him, and not realise it until he awakes, horrified, the next morning.

5) Only a silver weapon, be it a sword, a knife or a bullet, can kill the werewolf.

6) There is no cure for the condition.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A550928

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more