A Conversation for Potato Recipes

Shrimp and Potato Soup

Post 1

KWDave

This recipe is a great favorite in restaurants when you end up with too many baked potatoes at the end of the day. Chicken base is usually available in 6 oz containers at the grocery store in the bouillion section.
This recipe is certainly not for dieters!

Ingredients
About 10 baked potatoes
1 dozen shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/2 inch chunks
Shrimp shells, wrapped securely in cheesecloth bag
1/2 cup Chicken Base
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 quarts Half and Half
1 quart Heavy Whipping Cream
2 oz sherry
2 lbs Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
White pepper

Method
Quarter potatoes lengthwise, then run a knife between meat and skin to release. Cut quarters into 1/2 inch chunks.

In a large soup pot, put 4 quarts half and half, 1 quart whipping cream, 1/2 cup chicken base, shrimp shell bag and garlic, and bring to a simmer. Remove bag with shrimp shells and discard. Add potatoes and shrimp and simmer for twenty minutes. Add two ounces of sherry.

Taste and season with white pepper. Soup does not require salt, since the chicken base is quite salty already.

When ready to serve, reduce heat and melt in the shredded mozzarella.

Recipe makes about one gallon of finished soup, and it keeps very well in the fridge. Reheat gently to avoid breaking.

Excellent with chopped chives, or bacon bits on top.


Key: Complain about this post

Shrimp and Potato Soup

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more