A Conversation for Cannibalism

Christian Cannibalism

Post 1

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

When the Roman authorities accused the early Christians of cannibalism, they didn't do so without evidence. After all, wasn't it a big part of the religion that they regularly consumed the body of Christ?

The Prophet.


Christian Cannibalism

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

That's true, and it was in the orginal entry...
'Hocus-pocus' is derived from 'hoc est corpus meus' which is latin for 'this is my body' and used at the Lord's dinner (no pun intended)


Christian Cannibalism

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Cheers Boss! smiley - ok Y'made m'day! It's always a treat to learn something new - especially something about an old chestnut like 'hocus pocus'" smiley - magic Thank you!

(I had always sorta figgered Christ's 'symbolic cannibalism' was an acknowledgment and sublimation of more ancient rituals, just as Christianity usurped and absorbed many pagan rites and piggy-backed the ceremonial calendar. The Christian church stands on mighty big shoulders.)

* smiley - angel Wanders off mumbling 'hocus pocus jimminny ocus - abra cadaver - dominoes, Wabisco, melba toasts and all that jazz' smiley - angel *


Christian Cannibalism

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

yes, that struck me as well when I was researching for the entry. Christian rites seem to be 'stolen' from lots of older or neighbouring cultures!

'abra cadaver' nice one smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more