A Conversation for Bourbon

Mint Juleps

Post 1

Time Traveller - Knights of h2g2 Astronomer - Chairman of the Society of Time Travellers

Sir, I was outraged that despite your most excelent description of one of the many recipes for a mint julep which range from being as complecated as yours to simply mixing whiskey, crushed ice, a teaspoon of sugar and a sprig of mint in a glass; you failed to mention the magnum opus of F. Scott Fitzgerald: "The Great Gatsby". I can only asume you have not read this most excelent novel to have ommitted a quotation: such was my obsession with the book that lead me to first try a mint julep. Sunday afternoons - yes - but remember the pannama hat, the white suit, the silver shirt and the gold tie of Gatsby, not to mention the "gust of hot shrubbery" that necessitates that most quintisensial of coolers in the first place. I can tell by your style and taste that you would love this novel, and recomend it to you on the highest authority: my own.

Appologies for this disgustingly prosaic and pompouse posting. I can plead nothing other than obsession in my deffence.

---<<>>---


Mint Juleps

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Loonytunes, ah'll wager, is a gentleman who has read The Great Gatsby and a good deal else besides, bein', as he is, a man o'letters and breedin'.

Ah do hope your use of the word 'outrage' is indicative of a feeling one might have in anticipation of the day's first julep, spoke, may be, at an hour when drinking one might seem a mite ungentlemanly. And that at a later time, that is now, perhaps having past the hour when a gentleman might partake of a julep (or p'haps two) and still hold his head up in society, a word like 'bemused' might rest more comfortably.

To your very good health, Ah say health, sir!

JTG smiley - stiffdrink


Mint Juleps

Post 3

Time Traveller - Knights of h2g2 Astronomer - Chairman of the Society of Time Travellers

Indeed, sir, outrage is a tad strong after a mint julep or three. But I must confess my presumption that the author has not read The Great Gatsby is founded entierly on my own preconception that any man who would write about Mint Juleps would, if he knew the book, wish to make at least some passing reference to it in his article.

---<<>>---


Mint Juleps

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

You may be right. Your guess, as they say, is as good as mine. On the other hand, Loonytunes is a chap who strikes me as having read pretty nearly everything that's worth reading. Still, you may well have hit upon one of the very few things as yet unread. We'll have to wait in hope that he comes back to ask him.

Cheers!

JTG smiley - stiffdrink


Key: Complain about this post