A Conversation for Mexico's Drinking Water

If water is suspect:

Post 1

Researcher 193096

You have several options to get rid of it:

1. Treat with Iodine tablets. These are available at Wal-Mart under the Portable Aqua brand name. These tabs are used by hikers a lot. Just put 1 tablet in per quart of water.

Iodinated water leaves the water unpleasant tasting and yellow. I suggest also getting the iodine neutralizer tablets. These remove the iodine from the water.

The main disadvantage of iodine is that it does not kill Crytosporidium.


2. Treat with Clorox Bleach. Clorox does the exact same thing as the chorine in your drinking water. It kills all pathogens except Cryptosporidium. However, it makes the water taste spring-clean fresh, if you know what I mean.


3. Filter the water. You can buy water filters at most backpacking stores for around $35. These filter out bacteria but they do not filter out viruses, which are widespread in Mexico and other warmer climes.

4. Boil it. It kills all pathogens. However, boiling is fuel intensive, which is a disadvantage if you are backpacking.


Key: Complain about this post

If water is suspect:

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more