A Conversation for Theramin

Was it really a Theramin?

Post 1

Researcher 249665

I just saw the Beach Boys video for Good Vibrations on TV, and I was pretty shocked to see the instrument being used wasn't a Theramin at all. In fact it looked like the thing Jonny whatshisface out of Radiohead plays.

A quick bit of Google research shows Radiohead's instrument to be an "Ondes Martenot", and a search for *that* shows that it's a 'bit like' an 'Electro-Theramin', a device invented by a big band musician called Paul Tanner who was annoyed by the lack of pitch accuracy offered by a true Theramin.

And this is the instrument used by the Beach Boys on Good Vibrations. Well, kind of - a Paul Tanner protege, Tom Polk, built a version for them when they decided that the Moog Theramin they had wasn't quite right.

I feel a little weird - all these years of imagining Darian Sahanaja, madly bearded, waving his arms around in the studio replaced with a similarly bearded but altogether less ethereal image of him playing an Electro-Theramin. Still a fantastic sound, but the true Theramin is king.

Nutts


Key: Complain about this post

Was it really a Theramin?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more