Universal Internet Time Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Universal Internet Time

3 Conversations

Universal Internet Time is a method of timekeeping created by the watch and timepiece manufacturer Swatch that was created in October 1998. Universal Internet Time is supposed to represent a completely new concept on time, where time zones1 and geographical borders are irrelevant.

The whole idea of the Internet Time system is to simplify time conversions between Internet users in countries on other sides of the planet, so the time in London would be the same as in New York, Tokyo, or even on the International Space Station.

Swatch decided to take things a couple of steps further by actually decimalising time. The standard 24 hour clock is divided into 1000 units known as beats. @000 Internet Time is midnight in Biel Meridian Time (BMT), a meridian set up in Switzerland by Swatch, also in October 1998. One beat is approximately one minute and 26 seconds, making it virtually useless for time calculations where accuracy is foremost.

Converting to and from Universal Internet Time

Please note, all times are in 24-hour format, with the exception of Internet Time, which is in the standard @ format2.

Internet TimeBeil (BMT)London (UTC)New York (ET)
@00000:00:0023:00:0019:00:00
@00100:01:2623:01:2619:01:26
@25006:00:0005:00:0001:00:00
@50012:00:0011:00:0007:00:00

Use of Universal Internet Time

Swatch released a range of digital watches, displaying both the standard 24-hour clock as well as Universal Internet Time. There also exist Internet Time converters for PCs, Macintosh, and PDAs. Mobile phone manufacturer Ericsson also released a range of WAP capable mobile phones that also showed Universal Internet Time.

1The current system has Earth split into 24 sections, each with a time increment of one hour greater than the previous.2The @ symbol is to distinguish the numbers as Internet Time, since it is already synonymous with the Internet through its use in email addresses.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A516728

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more