The h2g2 Researchers' Map

18 Conversations

Click here for the map

Hi everyone, just a little project to find ourselves in the world. Some enterprising folks have set up this thingamijig where people can stick markers on Google Maps, so I thought an h2g2 version would be nice. Click the link above, find your spot and stick a pin in. Thanks to Amy P for introducing me to the site (and to Ottox for introducing Amy to it).

Destructions

  1. Open the map.
  2. Click and drag to centre the map on where your house is.
  3. Zoom in by clicking on the plus sign on the left or the bar below it.
  4. Repeat until you're as far in as you can go.1
  5. Click on your house.2 A box should pop up.
  6. Fill in your name, a little message and a URL and choose an icon. We suggest using your userspace's URL, but it will accept anything you put in the box, even a space.
  7. Click 'Place'. Be aware that after you've done this you will be unable to edit your marker. If you really need to change something, place a new marker and drop a note to me that you'd like your old one removed.

Rules and stuff

I don't know if I need disclaimers and rules for you sensible boys and girls, but here goes:

  • There are currently some bandwidth issues on the Guestmaps site. We apologise for the inconvenience.
  • One marker each. Seriously, I mean this. If everyone placed extra markers it'd lead to such a skewed and full map. I've been deleting the excess ones, so be warned.
  • Please don't stick any rude messages on.
  • Apparently the site should work with Macs. If it doesn't you might need a new browser (see this) or they might be having bandwidth problems.
  • No spitting.

1In most of western Europe and North America there is a street map that can be zoomed in fully and in some places the satellite picture can too, so you can pick out your house. Elsewhere in the world I'm afraid you'll have to make do with the closest in the satellite view will go.2If you don't want people to know exactly where you live you can use another landmark. Some people have marked their local pub or the park where they walk their dog. If you're making do with a poor resolution satellite image this obviously won't be a problem.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5076614

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more