A Conversation for How to Speak Brummie

Guide Corrections

Post 1

McCabe

Well That I can quite honestly say was terribly researched. Like others have said here, The brummie accent is not one tone like that are on the TV and radio adverts. It is in-fact a very colourful and very up and down accent.

I was born in Birmingham and lived there for 25 years so my accent is pretty strong and I found when travelling that people from other contrys (that dont have any pre conceptions of what a brummie is) always say that my accents is all over the place and sounds like i am singing. When i tell them that in the UK we are laughed at and depicted as a people with a very droney, low, one tone accent they ALL say thats not how it sounds to them...Interesting.

The vowel pronunciation in this guide was mostly wrong in truth. These are more Black Country characteristics, and even though the guide almost mocks the fact that Black Country people imply that they have a differing pronunciation the guide and writer is in fact worthy of a mocking for not only implying that black country doesn't have its own accent and it inhabitants are the only people "that would disagree", but also explain incorrectly that the black country accents is in fact the brummie accent.

I am surprised at the BBC for the lack of insight and research (also considering there is a great BBC in Birmingham) and expected that they would give information that isnt just the accent that a director would ask the token idiot brummie to do in a crappy bank add

"The 'o' and 'a' sounds as in 'go' and 'day' are lazy3 and under-articulated. They are not dissimilar to Cockney"

-Nope, "o" in "go" is said gow like in "flow" or the "o" "drone"

"'ar' as in 'star' is also lazy. In some forms, the vowel shortens and becomes 'a' as in 'cap'."

-WHAT!? "ar" in "star" is said "ar" as in "star" or "bar" the real difference is in the tone and emphisis in aspects of the word.
It starts low at the s and t then ar drops suddenly then the sounds is dragged out slightly and finished by pulling back up at the tip.

"The 'i' as in 'pit' becomes 'ee' as in 'feet'."

-The "i" in "pit" is said ..... "pit" like in "fit" (not said "feet" I promise you that would never be understood in Brum)

"In stronger versions, 'you' becomes 'yow' and a 'y' at the end of a word becomes 'ay'."

-The "yow" is completely and exclusively Black Country (we take the mikkey out of "yam yams" for saying this) And the "y" at the end of a word is said "io" like in "coin"

"Brummie employs a mild form of the stereotypical Spanish 'r'. This is a rolled variant"

-I have only heard this on TV spoken by a person not from Birmingham, I wish it were true as it can sound quite fun but its also false.

"'H's are dropped wherever they occur, except when emphasis is required. The word 'Birmingham' therefore, has a silent 'h'. It also has a strong 'g', and the 'r' is not pronounced at all."

-This is a funny one as the "h" isnt dropped and the "strong" "g" is in fact weak as it gets or not at all.

Come to Birmingham and listen to its people, all over Birmingham, go out have a drink in Mosley listen them banter and joke. Talk to the postman or listen to the children chattering away with there parents on the high street of kings heath you will hear real Brummie in all its character and its a far cry from what this guide suggests.





Key: Complain about this post

Guide Corrections

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more