A Conversation for Items to Take with You when Visiting Friends Abroad

candy and novilities

Post 1

bumbee

When I was living in England, I made my boyfriend bring Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (which all the Americians I knew were craving), and Reseses Peanut Butter Cups, which I found a few times in England, but they were not nearly as good as the US kind. Nowadays, I'm back in the US, and I keep begging people to send me Cadbury bars... specifically flyte bars and boost bars (we just won't mention my empty mailbox). I find it interesting that candy is so specialized by country. I mean, you can get cadbury in the states, but only (and i mean only) the plain chocolate, nuts and fruit or cream eggs. What a shame. Think of the huge untapped market.

At the same time I was in England, my friend Chay was living in Prague, and he made us bring orange tic-tacs (the ones they sold in Prague were white in an orange casing... very strange).


candy and novilities

Post 2

bumbee

And how could I have forgotten. Now that I'm living in the States again, I would KILL for some English cider. Strongbow or Blackthorn. The hard ciders here are soooo sweet. They're sickening. I found some woodpecker, which wasn't too bad, but it was my least favorite English cider and it would make me the happiest person in the world to be able to go into a bar in the States and order a cider and black and have them a)know what I was talking about and b) be able to give it to me... sigh...


candy and novilities

Post 3

GreyDesk

Cider....

I'm sorry but cider is way more regional than that. I come from Somerset and cider to me is a drink bought off of a farmer, in a plastic gallon tank. Its cloudy, flat and with enough alcohol to blow your nuts off.

That said, I know what you're getting at. All the best to you.


candy and novilities

Post 4

bumbee

Beleive it or not, I know what you mean... when I was living in Bath, my friends went on a mission to find exactally the kind of cider you just described. The kind that gets you drunk just by inhaling it and tastes like tree bark.... smiley - smiley


candy and novilities

Post 5

GreyDesk

One of the entertainments laid on in Somerset pubs for the locals is watching tourists drink the local cider. Two pints is the most that they can manage before they realise how drunk they are. They just don't realise that the local brew is around 9% alcohol compared to 3.5% - 4.5% for regular beers.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more