A Conversation for Trumpets

RASP MY ASP

Post 1

babelhorn

Well this is a disappointment. I thought that the sound I make on the trumpet was created by air accelerated by the embouchure through the venturi tube into the lead pipe exciting the air column into a standing wave with in the trumpet and amplified by the exponential bell. I have always been told that the shape of the horn decides the resultant tone. That’s why the cylindrically bored trumpet has a different tone than the conically shaped flugelhorn and coronet. The lip buzz that we feel is a result of this musical sound with in the horn. For instance our lips vibrate sympathetically with the sound wave. If you play a flute you will also notice that the lips feel a vibration. I tried to play a flute and was surprised to find that my lips did vibrate, but nothing so gratifying as a raspberry. God I feel so stupid. I'll start spiting into my trumpet immediately. Silly me wasting 40 years doing it all wrong.
Tom
See my introduction about the Babelhorn under “Hi I’m new”
Babelhorn


RASP MY ASP

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

This comment was posted in a few places. It is discussed at F60370?thread=366346


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more