A Conversation for Is It Safe to Cycle?

Helmets

Post 1

summerbayexile

The reference to the Cycle Touring Club is a little misleading. The truth is that cycle helmets are effective at speeds of up to 12 mph whereas the CTC are very good amateurs who regularly go at 30 mph. At that speed a helmet is ineffective. Helmets are still the best way of protecting cyclists in most everyday situations.

SBE


Helmets

Post 2

growingthebigcheese

A move to compulsory helmet wearing would be counter productive.
The previous article on helmets explained why:

"The most quoted example of the effect of compulsory helmet wearing is that of Australia, which passed legislation in 1991. The effect was immediate and dramatic: a 36% decline in cycling in the year after enactment. Research shows that recovery is slow. In Perth, in 2000 the reduction was still 15% against 1991 levels, although population had increased by 140,000 over the same period.

And, as the figures above suggest, fewer bikes on the road meant that cyclist injuries rose to their highest recorded levels. As a road safety measure it was - and remains - an own goal."

But watch professional cyclists crashing at speed and it's very obvious that the wise cyclist always wears a helmet. The number of serious head injuries in the Tour de France has greatly reduced due to helmet wearing in recent years. The value of a helmet is as great at 30 mph as it is at 12 mph.


Helmets :-(

Post 3

igamogam

Oddly enough, in the seven years since the UCI introduced mandatory hard-shell helmet use for racing, more professional cyclist have been killed than during any decade since records began.

It seems that helmet wearing has done nothing positive for Pro level riders apart frpm increasing their earnings due to sponshorship from the powerful helmet manufacturing lobby.smiley - erm


Helmets

Post 4

triviarules

Look, some of us have been cycling for 40 years & I've not fallen off a bike for over 30- and that was when I borrowed a racing bike, cycled round an icy corner, and fell on my shoulder/side- got up and carried on without problems-remember afghan coats?-anyway, as an experienced driver I anticipate, take care and generally don't put myself at risk when cycling. Including using pavements- giving way to pedestrians of course, and going through red lights when safe to do so, eg empty pedestrian crossing & bus too close behind me. Also keeping well out from parked cars due to risk of doors being opened. Wearing a hi-vis vest & always having lights when needed.

So just don't bother with the lectures about how balancing a silly bit of plastic on my head is going to protect me from idiotic drivers, pedestrians wandering into road without looking, loose dogs/children, bullying bus & van drivers etc etc etc.. If I do get marmalised in an accident it's my limbs at risk i think!


Helmets

Post 5

Brian Holmes

Some thirty years ago I too skidded on ice on a corner, landed on my head and got up. I was bleeding profusely and very dazed, just managing to walk the remaining 100 yds to work. If I had been wearing a helmet I would not be carrying the scars thirty years later. Some protection is always better than none and if you can figure out what the strappy things are for, you don't have to balance the helmet on your head.


Helmets

Post 6

Is mise Duncan

I wear a helmet because I'm ugly enough as it is - imagine tarmac overdose acne on top smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more