A Conversation for Units of Measurement

Becquerel = bugger all

Post 1

Hoovooloo

So named because the SI unit of radioactivity, the Becquerel, while numerically sensible (1 disintegration per second), is absolutely, stupidly TINY for anything approaching real world application. The very slightest, least dangerous detectable sorts of emissions you'd ever measure would be measured in GIGAbecquerels, and terabecquerels are common enough in the nuclear industry. Hence the slang name for the becquerel - the "bugger all".

Also, the "baud" isn't *quite* 1 bit per second, it takes into account some other complicated stuff that I'd be lying if I said I remembered...

H.


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 2

Cefpret

My father hates Pascal because it's so small. And Farad is too big.

But for every unit you find applications that are forced to use extreme prefixes. BTW the old unit, Curie, was a rubber unit with different definitions over the decades. The definition of Becquerel is simple and absolutely unambiguous. That the important thing. (Many don't like that organisations like Greenpeace can give huge numbers for contamination which can manipulate some people.smiley - winkeye)

And the Hertz -- related with Becquerel in a very subtle way -- is also way to small for most applications. But nobody complains.

The Baud thing has been pointed out to me already. I think the stop and parity bits are included into Mbits/s but not into Baud. I think.


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 3

Hoovooloo

Re: pascals, I tend to use bar (10^5 Pa) most of the time at work. I say most... smiley - erm

Re: Greenpeace - tell me about it. I used to work for BNFL.

Re: Baud. Yeah. That was what I meant. Exactly that. Honest. smiley - winkeye

H.


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 4

Hoovooloo

OOh! Ooh!

That reminds me of one of my favourite geek jokes:

What goes "pieces of seven, pieces of seven"?

H.


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 5

thenerd

I don't know, what ?


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 6

Hoovooloo

A parroty error.




Ay theng yo.

H.
(I thought nobody would ever ask...)


Becquerel = bugger all

Post 7

Nick Fel



One of my computing teachers had a parrot/parity joke, which I forget right nowl. He also likes to say "this is a local variable, for local people" lol


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more